The Cleveland Cavaliers (8-28) and the Atlanta Hawks (10-24) clash at State Farm Arena. The Cavaliers are 3.5-point underdogs and will attempt to put an end to their five-game losing streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 218.5 points and it will air on Fox Sports – Southeast at 7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 29, 2018.
Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Atlanta Hawks Betting Odds
Neither team was able to cover in their last outing. The Hawks (6.5-point favorites) defeated the Minnesota Timberwolves, 123-120, while the Cavaliers (9.5-point underdogs) were defeated by the Miami Heat, 118-94. Both games finished over their projected point totals. The Atlanta game finished 23 points over the projected point total of 220, while the Cleveland game went 16 points over the projected point total of 196.
The Hawks, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.0, had a phenomenal mark of 35.4 and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.550 (above their season average of 0.512). Cleveland, on the other hand, did a great job of making free throws (19-22; 86.4 percent). Atlanta’s John Collins had a good outing, contributing 21 points and 10 rebounds. Cleveland, meanwhile, was led by Alec Burks, who finished with 17 points, six rebounds and five assists.
The Cavaliers evened the season series at one with a 136-114 blowout win in their most recent game. Alex Len had a standout performance in the game, producing 22 points and 9 rebounds. Getting to the charity stripe was one of Cleveland’s biggest advantages. They made 43 trips to the line, while Atlanta went just 17 times. Cleveland covered as a 5-point favorite and the two teams combined to put up 250 points, which was well over the projected point total of 226.5.
Just over half of the Cavaliers’ games have finished under the total. Cleveland heads into the game with records of 8-28 straight up (SU) and 17-18 against the spread (ATS).
Contrary to Cleveland, games involving the Hawks have a slight tendency to finish over the projected point total (54.5 percent). Further, Atlanta owns records of 10-24 SU and 14-19 ATS.
Kent Bazemore has been outstanding recently for Atlanta, averaging 20 points,3.4 assists,1.6 steals,1.2 blocks over the last five games.
It will be a showdown of opposite paces as the fast-breaking Hawks will look to push the more half-court-oriented Cavaliers. The Hawks rank first in possessions per game while the Cavaliers are 29th.
Cleveland Cavaliers at Atlanta Hawks Free Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Cavaliers, ATS Winner – Cavaliers, O/U – Under
- The Cavaliers rank 10 in second chance points allowed per game (12.416666666666666) while the Hawks rank 27 (14.911764705882353).
- Cleveland ranks third in steals allowed per game (7.0) while Atlanta ranks 27th (10.7).
- The Hawks rank seventh in blocks per game (5.7) while the Cavaliers rank 29th (2.5).
- Atlanta ranks fourth in three pointers attempted per game (34.8) while Cleveland ranks 26th (25.6).
- Atlanta ranks 8 in points in the paint per game (50.88235294117647) while Cleveland ranks 27 (42.388888888888886).
- The Hawks rank sixth in points off turnovers per game (18.6) while the Cavaliers rank 29th (13.2).
- The Hawks rank 4 in fast break points per game (17.58823529411765) while the Cavaliers rank 24 (10.38888888888889).
- Atlanta ranks sixth in assists per game (25.7) while Cleveland ranks 29th (19.8).
- Atlanta is 2-2 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Cleveland is 3-3.
- The Hawks are 9-18 when they reach the century mark, while the Cavaliers are 6-13.
- Atlanta is 5-10 ATS at home, while Cleveland is 10-7 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 11 of the Cavaliers’ 17 road games, while 9 of the Hawks’ 15 home games have gone over.
- In their last five games, Cleveland and Atlanta are both 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Cavaliers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 15.8, up from 9.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 114.8 points per game (5.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 112.2 points per game (6.1 below their season average).