The Chicago State Cougars (4-14, 0-3 WAC) and the UT Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros (5-10, 1-1 WAC) go head-to-head at UTRGV Fieldhouse. The Cougars will try to put an end to their eight-game losing streak. The game gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 11, 2020.
Chicago State Cougars vs. UT Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros Betting Odds
In their last outing, the Vaqueros were victorious over the Kansas City Roos, 76-64, while the Cougars were blown out by the New Mexico State Aggies, 93-54.
UT Rio Grande Valley played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 46.2 (above their season average of 28.9) and a turnover percentage of 12.5 (better than their season average of 15.9). Kansas City was 22.2 and 17.6, respectively, for those same stats. Chicago State, on the other hand, did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (17-21; 81.0 percent). Javon Levi played well for UT Rio Grande Valley with 15 points and 12 assists. Chicago State was led by Xavier Johnson, who finished with 14 points.
The Vaqueros dominated this series last year, taking both games. In the last contest, UT Rio Grande Valley won 82-77. The Vaqueros’ turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Cougars. UT Rio Grande Valley had a rate of 13.9, while Chicago State posted a mark of 20.4. This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year.
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of Chicago State. Chicago State ranks 350th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 24.7 percent), while the pesky defense of UT Rio Grande Valley forces the 12th-most turnovers in the nation (25.9 percent).
Chicago State Cougars at UT Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros Odds Pick
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – UT Rio Grande Valley, ATS Winner – UT Rio Grande Valley, O/U – Over
- UT Rio Grande Valley ranks 16th in three pointers allowed per game (17.1) while Chicago State ranks 218th (24.7).
- The Vaqueros rank 43rd in blocks per game (4.4) while the Cougars rank 136th (2.7).
- UT Rio Grande Valley ranks 187th in rebounds per game (34.5) while Chicago State ranks 248th (32.2).
- The Vaqueros rank 27th in steals per game (8.9) while the Cougars rank 194th in steals allowed per game (8.8).
- UT Rio Grande Valley ranks 106th in assists per game (13.8) while Chicago State ranks 242nd in assists allowed per game (17.8).
- The Vaqueros have been outscored by an average of 7.2 points in their last five games. On the season, UT Rio Grande Valley has defeated opponents by an average of 1.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 55.6 points per game (9.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 89.8 points per game (5.1 above their season average).