The Chicago Bulls (13-24) will travel to the Smoothie King Center to go head-to-head against the New Orleans Pelicans (12-25). The game starts at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 8, 2020, and will air on NBC Sports Chicago.
Chicago Bulls at New Orleans Pelicans ATS Odds
Both teams fell in their last contest. The Bulls (7.5-point underdogs) were defeated by the Dallas Mavericks, 118-110, while the Pelicans (4-point underdogs) fell to the Utah Jazz, 128-126. Both games finished over their projected point totals. The Chicago game finished 10.5 points over the projected point total of 217.5, while the New Orleans game went 32.5 points over the projected point total of 221.5.
Chicago had a turnover percentage of 7.2 (better than their season average of 12.9) while New Orleans held Utah to an offensive rebounding percentage of 16.7 (below the 22.2 mark opponents have averaged against New Orleans this season). New Orleans received a boost from Brandon Ingram, who put up 35 points, eight rebounds and five assists. Lauri Markkanen, meanwhile had a solid performance for Chicago, finishing with 26 points and nine rebounds.
The Pelicans dominated this series last year, securing victories in both games. In the last matchup, New Orleans won 125-120. New Orleans’ rebounding was their biggest advantage. The Pelicans had more offensive rebounds (14 vs. 9), defensive rebounds (32 vs. 27) and total rebounds (46 vs. 36). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
A little over half of the Bulls’ games have finished under the O/U total. Chicago holds records of 13-24 straight up (SU) and 18-19 against the spread (ATS).
Unlike Chicago, just over half of Pelicans games have finished over the total. Moreover, New Orleans owns records of 12-25 SU and 15-19-3 ATS.
New Orleans might have trouble finding the bottom of the net as they battle against one of the league’s best defenses. Chicago currently ranks ninth in defensive efficiency, while the Pelicans rank 20th in offensive efficiency.
Chicago Bulls at New Orleans Pelicans ATS Pick
Free Pick: SU Winner – Bulls, ATS Winner – Bulls, O/U – Over
- The Pelicans rank 15th in rebounds per game (45.5) while the Bulls rank 25th in rebounds allowed per game (47.2).
- Chicago averages 21.4 points off turnovers per game, which ranks first in the league. New Orleans ranks 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.5).
- The Bulls rank seventh in fast break points per game (14.8) while the Pelicans rank 25th in fast break points allowed per game (14.8).
- Chicago ranks 14th in points allowed in the paint per game (47.6) while New Orleans ranks 26th (51.1).
- Chicago averages 13.4 second chance points per game, which ranks 13th in the league. New Orleans ranks 24th in second chance points allowed per game (13.9).
- The Bulls rank first in steals per game (10.0) while the Pelicans rank 21st (7.5).
- The Bulls rank eighth in three pointers attempted per game (35.2) while the Pelicans rank 19th in three pointers allowed per game (34.1).
- New Orleans averages 24.9 assists per game, which ranks 10th in the league. Chicago ranks 17th in assists allowed per game (24.1).
- New Orleans ranks eighth in blocks allowed per game (4.4) while Chicago ranks 28th (6.5).
- When holding opponents under 100 points, New Orleans is 3-0 and Chicago is 4-2.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Bulls are 13-13 and the Pelicans are 12-22.
- New Orleans is 8-10 ATS at home, while Chicago is 9-8 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 9 of the Bulls’ 17 road games, while 9 of the Pelicans’ 18 home games have gone over.
- The Pelicans are 4-0-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Bulls are 1-4.
- In their last five games, New Orleans has 5 overs, while Chicago has 3 overs and 2 unders.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 120.6 points per game (7.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 115.2 points per game (1.7 below their season average).
- The Bulls’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.0, down from 1.5 for the season.