The Chicago Bulls (20-40) can end a seven-game road losing streak when they go head-to-head with the Charlotte Hornets (27-33) at Spectrum Center. Charlotte is a 10-point favorite on the opening line, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 216.5 points. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 27, 2018, and it can be seen on NBC Sports Chicago.
Chicago Bulls vs. Charlotte Hornets ATS Preview
In the Bulls’ last game, they lost to the Brooklyn Nets, 104-87. Chicago’s Denzel Valentine contributed 11 points and 13 rebounds in the game. Brooklyn held the Bulls to an effective field goal percentage of 0.387 (below their season average of 0.501). Chicago, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.8 (above their season average of 19.6).
The Hornets will look to keep it rolling after topping the Detroit Pistons in their last matchup, 114-98. Charlotte’s Nicolas Batum played a key role with 15 points, nine assists and five rebounds. Charlotte played a flawless game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 28.3 (above their season average of 22.7) and a free throw rate of 0.159 (below their season average of 0.226). For those same stats, Detroit was 19.0 and 0.118, respectively.
Charlotte could put on a ball-control clinic in this matchup. Charlotte ranks third in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.3 percent), while Chicago forces the first-fewest turnovers (12.3 percent). Additionally, the Bulls, who rank 27th in offensive rebounding percentage (19.7 percent), will square off against the Hornets, who rank first in defensive rebounding percentage (81.5 percent).
Of Chicago’s 59 games with betting action, 32 have finished over the O/U total, while 30 of Charlotte’s 60 games have finished under the O/U total. The Hornets have the better straight up (SU) record (27-33 vs. 20-40), but the Bulls hold the sizable advantage against the spread (ATS) (30-26-3 vs. 24-32-4).
Bobby Portis has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Chicago, averaging 20.6 points and 5.2 rebounds per game.
These two teams have met twice already this year, with the Bulls winning both. In the most recent game, the Hornets lost 119-111, unable to cover as 9.5-point favorites. Dwight Howard scored a game-high 25 points and also added 20 rebounds and six blocks. The two teams combined to score 230 points, which was 27.5 points above the projected point total of 202.5 points. Chicago’s effective field goal percentage was its biggest advantage over Charlotte. The Bulls had a rate of 0.515 while the Hornets posted a mark of 0.450.
Chicago Bulls at Charlotte Hornets Odds Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Under
- The Bulls rank seventh in three pointers attempted per game (30.7) while the Hornets rank 20th in three pointers allowed per game (29.9).
- Charlotte ranks 18th in blocks per game (4.6) while Chicago ranks 28th (3.8).
- Charlotte ranks 16th in points off turnovers per game (16.4) while Chicago ranks 29th (14.3).
- Charlotte is second in the NBA with 6.5 steals allowed per game while Chicago is fourth with 7.0 steals allowed per game.
- Charlotte is 15-16-1 ATS at home, while Chicago is 15-13-1 ATS on the road.
- Of the Bulls’ 29 road games, they have 18 overs and 11 unders.
- The Hornets have 17 unders and 15 overs in 32 home games.
- Charlotte is 10-3 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Chicago is 6-5.
- The Hornets are 26-14 when they score over 100 points, while the Bulls are 18-19.
- The Bulls rank 15th in fast break points per game (11.2) while the Hornets rank 27th (9.3).
- Charlotte ranks third in rebounds per game (45.8) while Chicago ranks 29th in rebounds allowed per game (45.9).
- The Hornets rank eighth in second chance points per game (13.1) while the Bulls rank 25th (10.6).
- The Hornets rank 21st in points in the paint per game (42.9) while the Bulls rank 25th (41.1).
- Chicago ranks 10th in assists per game (23.4) while Charlotte ranks 26th (21.3).
- Charlotte is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Chicago is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Hornets’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 6.0, up from 0.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulls have scored an average of 101.8 points per game (1.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 113.0 points per game (3.5 above their season average).