Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, and the Chicago Blackhawks will face off against Jamie Benn, Tyler Seguin, and the Dallas Stars at the American Airlines Center in a divisional showdown. The match will get underway at 3 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 23, and fans at home are able to witness the game live on Fox Sports Southwest.
Chicago Blackhawks at Dallas Stars Odds
The Stars (-195) are tabbed as the favorites over the Blackhawks (+170) and the Over/Under (O/U) is set at 6 goals (-110 over, -110 under).
Earning moneyline bettors 3.9 units, Dallas is 35-26 straight up (SU) overall in the 2019-20 season. That win percentage, the second-best in the Central Division so far this season, isn’t too far off from to what the team managed during last year’s regular season (43-39). Out of its 61 regular season outings, 36 of them have gone under the total, while 22 have gone over and just three have pushed. The team is 18-12 SU at home this season.
The Stars have converted on 21.1 percent of their power play opportunities this season, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, their penalty kill is ranked 12th overall, and they’ve successfully killed off 81.6 percent of all penalties.
Averaging 27.2 saves per game with a .922 save percentage, Ben Bishop (23 wins, 18 losses, and four OT losses) has been the best option in goal for Dallas this year. If Dallas decides to give him a breather, however, it might turn to Anton Khudobin (14-11-11 record, .926 save percentage, 2.31 goals against average).
Chicago has lost 1.7 units for bettors taking the moneyline this year and is currently 27-34 straight up (SU). Through 61 regular season matches, 31 of its games have gone under the total, while 29 have gone over and just one has pushed. The Blackhawks are 14-17 SU as a road team this season.
The Blackhawks have converted on just 14.0 percent of their power play opportunities this year, a mark that’s ranked 31st in the NHL. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked 10th overall and it’s successfully killed off 82.1 percent of all penalties.
Robin Lehner (32.1 saves per game) has been the main choice in the net for Chicago. Lehner has 16 wins, 17 losses, and six OT losses to his credit, and has registered a .918 save percentage and 3.01 goals against average this year.
Chicago Blackhawks vs. Dallas Stars Betting Picks
NHL Prediction: SU Winner – Blackhawks, O/U – Over
- Over Chicago’s last ten games, five of them have been decided by two or more goals (the team is 1-4 in those games).
- Penalties and power plays could play a critical role in this one. The Blackhawks are 7-13 in games where they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 18-24 when they’re in the penalty box for fewer than 10 total minutes. The Stars are 12-8 when the team serves fewer penalty minutes than the opposition and 20-18 in games where total penalty minutes are in the single digits.
- Dallas is 2-2 in games decided by a shootout this season while Chicago is 3-4 in shootouts.
- Dallas could have an advantage if it’s a close one late. The team’s 17-13 in games decided by one goal, while Chicago is 9-14 in such games.
- For both of these teams, the over has hit in three of their past five matchups.
- Chicago has averaged 10.6 giveaways over its last five home games, right in line with its season average of 10.4 giveaways per game (ranked 19th).
- Dallas is ranked 30th this season with 12.2 giveaways per game. That figure has trended down recently, however, as it’s averaged 10.9 giveaways over its last 10 games and 10.8 giveaways over its last five.
- This game features a couple of the more physical teams in the league. Chicago skaters have given out the ninth-most hits in the league (22.8 per game) while the Stars have registered the 12th-most (22.0).