Two teams facing each other for the first time this season, the Chicago Blackhawks and the Ottawa Senators clash at Canadian Tire Centre. The Sports Network will showcase this East-West matchup, and the action gets underway at 7:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 14.
Chicago Blackhawks vs. Ottawa Senators Odds
Chicago (+100) is playing the role of underdog to Ottawa (-120) and the Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 7 goals. The line for betting the total stands at -115 money on the over and -105 on the under.
Chicago is 20-26 straight up (SU) and has lost 1.6 units for moneyline bettors this year. 23 of its matches have gone under the total, while 22 have gone over and just one has pushed. This 2019-20 Blackhawks team is 9-12 SU on the road.
Chicago has converted on just 15.3 percent of its power play opportunities this year, a mark that places them in the bottom-5 overall among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 11th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 82.4 percent of its penalties.
Chicago, as a collective unit, has been sent to the penalty box 3.4 times per game this season, and 2.6 per game over its last five games. The team has had to defend opponent power plays just 7.4 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Averaging 32.4 saves per game with a .923 save percentage, Robin Lehner (13-13-5) has been the primary option in goal for Chicago this season. If it chooses to rest him, however, the team may turn to Corey Crawford (7-16-2 record, .906 save percentage, 3.09 goals against average).
Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews will both lead the offensive attack for the visiting Blackhawks. Kane has 57 points on 24 goals and 33 assists, and has recorded multiple points in 13 different games. Toews has 11 goals and 24 assists to his name, and has notched a point in 21 games.
On the other bench, Ottawa is 16-29 straight up (SU) and has lost 8.2 units for moneyline bettors this year. 25 of its outings have gone over the total, while 20 have gone under and none have pushed. This season, the team is 11-10 SU at home.
Ottawa has converted on just 11.5 percent of its power play opportunities this season, a mark that places it in the bottom overall among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 16th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 80.8 percent of all penalties.
Ottawa players have been sent to the penalty box 4.1 times per game this season, 3.6 per game over their last five games total, and 4.2 per game over their last five home outings. The team has had to kill penalties just 7.8 minutes per game over their last five outings.
Anders Nilsson (28.5 saves per game) has been the primary netminder in goal for Ottawa. Nilsson has nine wins, 11 losses, and two OT losses to his name and has registered a poor .908 save percentage and 3.18 goals against average this year.
The home team will be led on offense by Anthony Duclair (21 goals, 11 assists).
Chicago Blackhawks vs. Ottawa Senators Free Picks
Prediction: SU Winner – Senators, O/U – Under
- For both of these clubs, the total has gone over in three of their last five games.
- Power plays and penalty kills could prove to be critical in the outcome of this matchup. The Blackhawks are 7-10 in games where they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 14-19 when they’re in the box for fewer than 10 total penalty minutes. The Senators are 5-12 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than the opposition and 7-13 in games where they’re in the box for less than 10 minutes.
- Chicago is 2-4 in games decided by a shootout this season while Ottawa is 0-3 in shootouts.
- Ottawa skaters have averaged 5.8 takeaways per game over its last five home games, a drop-off from its season average of 6.6 takeaways per game (ranked 25th overall).
- Chicago skaters have created 8.0 takeaways per game over its last five road games, its season average of 8.5 takeaways per game (ranked sixth overall).