The VMI Keydets (8-20, 3-14 SoCon) and Chattanooga Mocs (9-21, 3-14 SoCon) will clash at Cameron Hall to finish out the regular season. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 135 points with Chattanooga set as a 1-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 25, 2018.
Chattanooga Mocs vs. VMI Keydets Odds Preview
The last time the Mocs played, they got blown out by the UNCG Spartans, 72-51. Joshua Phillips put together a solid game for Chattanooga, leading both teams in scoring with 17 points on 7-for-11 shooting. UNCG had a turnover percentage of 11.3 (better than their season average of 17.7). Chattanooga, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.094 vs. 0.059).
The Keydets are hoping for a better outcome after their 89-82 loss to the Samford Bulldogs in their last matchup. Austin Vereen was the games high scorer with 21 points on 6-for-11 shooting. Samford had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.556 vs. 0.435). VMI, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 12.1 (better than their season average of 19.1).
Points at the line might be rare for VMI in this showdown. The Keydets rank 282nd in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.209, while Chattanooga ranks 96th in FTA rate allowed (0.210). ,
Of Chattanooga’s 26 games with betting action, 14 have finished over the O/U total, while 14 of VMI’s 21 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Mocs are 9-21 SU and 10-15-1 ATS, while the Keydets are 8-20 SU and 9-12 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 139 points, which was over the projected point total of 130.5. The Keydets won 70-69, covering as 10-point underdogs. VMI had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (25.7 vs. 13.3). Chattanooga, on the other hand, had a much better free throw rate (0.300 vs. 0.065). Garrett Gilkeson put up a double-double in the victory with 17 points and 10 rebounds.
Chattanooga Mocs at VMI Keydets Prediction
Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Chattanooga, ATS Winner – VMI, O/U – Under
- The Mocs rank 177th in assists per game (13.0) while the Keydets rank 231st (12.0).
- On the road, Chattanooga is 7-6-1 ATS with 7 overs and 7 unders.
- VMI is 4-4 ATS at home with 6 unders and 2 overs.
- VMI ranks 40th in steals per game (7.5) while Chattanooga ranks 212th (5.0).
- The Mocs rank 100th in rebounds allowed per game (33.7) while the Keydets rank 254th (37.9).
- Chattanooga ranks 105th in three pointers attempted per game (23.3) while VMI ranks 219th in three pointers allowed per game (23.6).
- VMI is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Chattanooga is 0-5 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Keydets average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 12.6, up from 9.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mocs have scored an average of 66.2 points per game (3.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 77.4 points per game (4.1 above their season average).