A five-game home winning streak is on the line for the Utah Jazz (46-30), who will be 11.5-point favorites when they clash against the Charlotte Hornets (35-41) at Vivint Smart Home Arena. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 218 points and it can be seen on Fox Sports Carolina at 9 p.m. ET on Monday, April 1, 2019.
Charlotte Hornets at Utah Jazz ATS Odds
Neither team was able to cover in their last game. The Jazz (13-point favorites) defeated the Washington Wizards, 128-124, while the Hornets (1.5-point favorites) were defeated by the Golden State Warriors, 137-90. The Utah game finished 25.5 points over the projected point total of 226.5, while the Charlotte game finished 2.5 points under the projected point total of 229.5.
The Jazz knocked down 18 of their 18 free throws (100.0 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.632 (above their season average of 0.534). Charlotte, on the other hand, did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (22-25; 88.0 percent). Donovan Mitchell fueled Utah with 35 points, five rebounds and five assists. Charlotte, meanwhile, rallied around Willy Hernangomez, who had 22 points and five rebounds.
In their first matchup this year, Rudy Gobert led the Jazz to a 119-111 win. He notched a double-double with 20 points and 17 rebounds. The two teams combined for 230 points, which was over the projected point total of 218, and Utah covered as a 2-point underdog. Utah’s 0.160 free throw rate was their largest advantage over Charlotte, who had a rate of 0.084.
Of the Hornets’ 75 games with betting action, 43 have finished over the projected point total. Charlotte heads into the game with records of 35-41 straight up (SU) and 34-39-2 against the spread (ATS).
In opposition of Charlotte, Jazz games have gone under the O/U total 51.3 percent of the time. Moreover, Utah owns records of 46-30 SU and 40-34-2 ATS.
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Utah figures to have a considerable edge. The sweet-shooting Jazz offense ranks fifth in the league in that metric at 0.535, while the bottom-tier Charlotte defense is ranked 25th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.537).
Hornets at Jazz Free Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Over
- The Jazz rank second in fast break points allowed per game (11.3) while the Hornets rank 13th (13.4).
- Utah averages 5.9 blocks per game, which ranks third in the NBA. Charlotte ranks last in blocks allowed per game (6.2).
- The Hornets rank seventh in steals allowed per game (7.1) while the Jazz rank 26th (8.5).
- Utah ranks second in three pointers allowed per game (27.9) while Charlotte ranks 21st (33.5).
- Utah ranks third in second chance points allowed per game (11.0) while Charlotte ranks 17th (13.5).
- The Jazz rank first in assists allowed per game (21.5) while the Hornets rank 25th (26.1).
- The Hornets rank first in points off turnovers allowed per game (13.9) while the Jazz rank 18th (17.1).
- Utah ranks 12th in points in the paint per game (49.6) while Charlotte ranks 18th in points allowed in the paint per game (49.1).
- Utah ranks second in rebounds allowed per game (42.6) while Charlotte ranks 22nd (45.8).
- Utah is 20-4 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Charlotte is 10-4.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Jazz are 44-18 and the Hornets are 34-28.
- Utah is 19-18-1 ATS at home, while Charlotte is 15-21 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 20 of the Jazz’s 38 home games, while 22 of the Hornets’ 36 road games have gone over.
- The Hornets are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Jazz are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Charlotte has 4 overs and 1 under, while Utah has 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Hornets’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.8, up from 1.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 119.2 points per game (8.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 103.2 points per game (3.0 below their season average).