The Portland Trail Blazers (16-24) will be at home in Moda Center at the Rose Quarter when they square off against the Charlotte Hornets (15-27). Action begins at 10 p.m. ET on Monday, January 13, 2020.
Charlotte Hornets vs. Portland Trail Blazers ATS Odds
Both teams were beaten in their last game. The Hornets (12.5-point underdogs) were defeated by the Phoenix Suns, 100-92, while the Trail Blazers (7.5-point underdogs) fell to the Milwaukee Bucks, 122-101. The Charlotte game finished 17.5 points under the projected point total of 209.5, while the Portland game went 9.5 points under the projected point total of 232.5.
Charlotte forced Phoenix into a turnover percentage of 16.7 (above their season average of 12.2) while Portland did a terrific job of making free throws (17-21; 81.0 percent). Portland was led by Carmelo Anthony, who put up 19 points and 11 rebounds. Meanwhile, Devonte’ Graham led the way for Charlotte, finishing with 22 points and eight assists.
The Trail Blazers dominated this series last year, taking both games. In the most recent game, Portland won 118-108. Portland out-rebounded Charlotte. The Trail Blazers had 13 offensive rebounds and 48 total rebounds, while the Hornets had four and 35, respectively. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Vegas has typically been fairly accurate when predicting totals of Hornets games, with 22 overs compared to 19 unders. Charlotte holds records of 15-27 straight up (SU) and 19-20-2 against the spread (ATS).
In opposition of Charlotte, games including the Trail Blazers have a slight tendency to finish under the total (52.5 percent). Further, Portland owns records of 16-24 SU and 15-23-2 ATS.
Portland may have difficulty getting to the free throw line in this showdown. The Trail Blazers currently rank 19th in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.193, while Charlotte ranks second in FTA rate allowed (0.159).
Charlotte Hornets vs. Portland Trail Blazers ATS Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Under
- The Hornets rank 19th in second chance points per game (12.6) while the Trail Blazers rank last in second chance points allowed per game (15.7).
- Portland ranks second in blocks per game (6.5) while Charlotte ranks 25th (4.3).
- The Hornets rank 16th in points in the paint per game (47.3) while the Trail Blazers rank 29th (43.0).
- Charlotte ranks third in fast break points allowed per game (11.9) while Portland ranks 15th (13.2).
- Charlotte averages 34.5 three pointers per game, which ranks 10th in the league. Portland ranks 21st in three pointers allowed per game (34.4).
- The Trail Blazers rank 12th in assists allowed per game (23.6) while the Hornets rank 29th (27.1).
- The Hornets rank 17th in rebounds allowed per game (46.1) while the Trail Blazers rank 29th (48.5).
- Charlotte ranks 24th in steals per game (6.7) while Portland ranks 28th (6.0).
- Portland ranks third in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.5) while Charlotte ranks 19th (17.6).
- In games where they allow under 100 points, Portland is 4-0 and Charlotte is 3-0.
- The Trail Blazers are 16-18 when they reach 100 points, while the Hornets are 13-15.
- Portland is 6-11-1 ATS at home, while Charlotte is 11-10 ATS on the road.
- The Hornets have 13 overs and 8 unders in 21 road games.
- The Trail Blazers have 10 overs and 8 unders in 18 home games.
- The Hornets are 2-2-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Trail Blazers are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Charlotte has 4 overs and 1 under, while Portland has 4 unders and 1 over.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 104.2 points per game (0.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 111.2 points per game (0.5 above their season average).
- The Trail Blazers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.0, up from 2.4 for the season.