The Chicago Bulls (19-36) welcome the Charlotte Hornets (18-36) to United Center. The Bulls are 5.5-point favorites and will try to put an end to their six-game losing streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 209 points and it can be seen on NBC Sports Chicago at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 20, 2020.
Charlotte Hornets at Chicago Bulls ATS Odds
In the Hornets’ last game, they defeated the Minnesota Timberwolves, 115-108, despite being 5.5-point underdogs. The Bulls, meanwhile, were topped by the Washington Wizards, 126-114, and were not able to cover as 3-point underdogs. The Charlotte game went 2 points under the projected point total of 225, while the Chicago game went 9.5 points over the projected point total of 230.5.
Charlotte played a nearly flawless game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.543 (above their season average of 0.503) and a free throw rate of 0.163 (matching their season average). For those same stats, Minnesota recorded marks of 0.455 and 0.158, respectively. Chicago, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (22.2 vs. 20.9). Zach LaVine put together a good outing for Chicago with 41 points and nine rebounds. Meanwhile, Devonte’ Graham led the way for Charlotte, contributing 28 points and eight assists.
In the season series between these two teams, the Hornets lead two games to one. The two teams combined for 156 points in their most recent game, which was well under the projected point total of 212.5. Charlotte won 83-73, covering as a 7-point underdog. Charlotte’s 0.215 free throw rate was their largest advantage over Chicago, who had a mark of 0.133. PJ Washington put up a double-double in the victory with 13 points and 10 rebounds.
Vegas has been spot on when predicting totals of Hornets games, with an even split between overs and unders. Charlotte heads into the game with records of 18-36 straight up (SU) and 25-27-2 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Bulls’ 55 games, 30 have finished over the total. Additionally, Chicago is 19-36 SU and 24-30-1 ATS.
Chicago could have difficulty getting to the charity stripe in this contest. The Bulls currently rank 25th in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.180, while Charlotte ranks first in FTA rate allowed (0.159). Ball protection could be troublesome for the Hornets. They rank 22nd at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 14.2 percent), while the Bulls force the most turnovers in the NBA (opponents’ turnover percentage of 17.1 percent).
Hornets vs. Bulls ATS Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Bulls, ATS Winner – Bulls, O/U – Over
- The Hornets rank third in fast break points allowed per game (11.6) while the Bulls rank seventh (12.4).
- Chicago ranks first in steals per game (9.9) while Charlotte ranks 27th (6.5).
- The Bulls rank seventh in points in the paint per game (49.3) while the Hornets rank 23rd in points allowed in the paint per game (50.8).
- Charlotte ranks 15th in blocks allowed per game (5.0) while Chicago ranks 28th (6.1).
- Chicago averages 12.9 second chance points per game, which ranks 17th in the league. Charlotte ranks 21st in second chance points allowed per game (13.5).
- The Bulls rank sixth in three pointers allowed per game (32.0) while the Hornets rank 25th (35.2).
- The Bulls rank 23rd in assists allowed per game (25.5) while the Hornets rank 29th (26.8).
- Charlotte ranks 24th in rebounds per game (42.9) while Chicago ranks 28th (42.4).
- Chicago averages 21.0 points off turnovers per game, which ranks first in the NBA. Charlotte ranks 18th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.0).
- In games where they allow less than 100 points, Chicago is 5-3 and Charlotte is 5-0.
- When scoring over 100 points, the Bulls are 19-22 and the Hornets are 14-21.
- Charlotte is 16-14 ATS on the road, while Chicago is 11-15-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 16 of the Hornets’ 30 road games, while 14 of the Bulls’ 27 home games have gone over.
- The Bulls are 1-3-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Hornets are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Chicago has 5 overs, while Charlotte has 3 overs and 2 unders.
- During their last five games, the Bulls have scored an average of 112.8 points per game (6.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 126.2 points per game (16.7 above their season average).
- The Hornets’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.0, down from 7.3 for the season.