The Charlotte Hornets (8-11) can end a six-game road losing streak when they clash with the Toronto Raptors (12-7) at Air Canada Centre. Toronto is an 8-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 205.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, November 29, 2017, and it can be seen on CTV Sportsnet Toronto.
Charlotte Hornets vs. Toronto Raptors Betting Preview
The Hornets were blown out by the San Antonio Spurs in their last contest, 106-86. Dwight Howard had a good game for Charlotte, putting up 10 points and 11 rebounds. San Antonio held the Hornets to an effective field goal percentage of 0.393 (below their season average of 0.502). Charlotte, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.5 (above their season average of 22.1).
In the Raptors’ last game, they thoroughly outplayed the Atlanta Hawks, 112-78. Toronto’s Kyle Lowry led the way, recording 15 points, 13 rebounds and six assists. Toronto dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 30.6 (above their season average of 20.7) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.625 (above their season average of 0.547). For those same stats, Atlanta was 16.7 and 0.387, respectively.
Toronto should have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Raptors rank third in offensive efficiency, while the Hornets rank 14th in defensive efficiency. Moreover, the Hornets are among the NBA’s elite at getting to the line, ranking second in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.240). The Raptors, meanhwile, rank 22nd at keeping opponents off the charity stripe with an opponents FTA rate of 0.218.
Of Charlotte’s 19 games, 10 have finished under the O/U total, while 11 of Toronto’s 19 games have finished under the O/U total. The Raptors come into this game with much better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 12-7 SU and 11-8 ATS, while the Hornets are 8-11 SU and 9-9-1 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Hornets, it’s been Howard, who has averaged 19.6 points, 14.2 rebounds and 1.4 blocks, while the Raptors have gotten great contributions from Lowry (20.6 points, 8.8 rebounds, 7.6 assists and 1.4 steals).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won two of the four games played against each other last season. In the most recent game, the Hornets won 110-106. The Hornets’ turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Raptors. Charlotte had a rate of 7.7, while Toronto posted a mark of 12.2.
Charlotte Hornets at Toronto Raptors ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Raptors, ATS Winner – Raptors, O/U – Under
- The Hornets rank third in second chance points allowed per game (10.1) while the Raptors rank 24th (13.7).
- Toronto ranks 11th in assists per game (23.0) while Charlotte ranks 25th (20.2).
- Charlotte ranks second in fast break points allowed per game (7.3) while Toronto ranks 23rd (12.4).
- Toronto ranks fourth in blocks per game (5.8) while Charlotte ranks 16th (4.5).
- Charlotte is 2-6-1 ATS on the road, while Toronto is 4-3 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 5 of the Hornets 9 road games, while 4 of the Raptors 7 home games have gone over.
- Toronto is 6-1 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Charlotte is 4-1.
- The Hornets are 8-4 when they score over 100 points, while the Raptors are 11-4.
- The Raptors rank sixth in three pointers allowed per game (26.3) while the Hornets rank 25th (31.9).
- Toronto ranks third in points off turnovers per game (20.1) while Charlotte ranks 29th (14.3).
- The Hornets rank second in rebounds per game (47.6) while the Raptors rank 25th (41.5).
- The Raptors rank fourth in points in the paint per game (47.8) while the Hornets rank 17th (42.5).
- Toronto ranks seventh in steals per game (8.5) while Charlotte ranks 28th (5.6).
- Toronto is 3-2 ATS with 5 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charlotte is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Raptors’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.0, up from 7.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 106.8 points per game (1.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 103.8 points pergame (2.3 below their season average).