The New York Knicks (5-4) will be at home in Madison Square Garden when they clash with the Charlotte Hornets (5-5). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 209.5 points with neither team favored. Action gets underway at at 7:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, November 7, 2017, and it can be seen on MSG Network.
Charlotte Hornets vs. New York Knicks Betting Preview
The Hornets lost big to the Minnesota Timberwolves, 112-94, in their last matchup. With 16 points on 6-for-8 shooting, Cody Zeller led Charlotte in scoring. Minnesota did a great job of making free throws (26-30; 86.7 percent). Charlotte, on the other hand, forced the Timberwolves into a turnover percentage of 14.3 (above the 10.8 mark opponents have averaged against Charlotte this season).
In the Knicks’ last game, they topped the Indiana Pacers, 108-101. With 40 points on 15-for-24 shooting, Kristaps Porzingis was the game’s leading scorer. The Knicks held the Pacers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 10.5 (below their season average of 23.2) and had a turnover percentage of 11.1 (better than their season average of 14.4).
The battle on the backboards could prove decisive, pitting strength against strength. The Knicks rank second in offensive rebounding percentage (26.6 percent), while Charlotte ranks fourth in defensive rebounding percentage (79.7 percent) since the 2016-17 season. Moreover, the Hornets rank second in turnover percentage (11.4 percent), while the Knicks rank 24th in opponents’ turnover percentage (12.6 percent).
Games involving Charlotte have gone under 60.0 percent of the time, while New York games have finished under 55.6 percent of the time. The Knicks have the substantial advantage straight up (SU) (5-4 vs. 5-5) and a slight edge against the spread (ATS) (5-4 vs. 5-5).
Jeremy Lamb has been outstanding over the last five games for Charlotte, averaging 20.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game.
The Knicks won two out of three contests against the Hornets last season. In the last contest, the Knicks won 113-111. New York’s offensive rebounding percentage was their largest advantage over Charlotte. The Knicks had a rate of 26.5, while the Hornets posted a mark of 19.2.
Charlotte Hornets vs. New York Knicks Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Knicks, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Knicks rank 11th in assists per game (21.9) while the Hornets rank 28th (22.6).
- New York ranks third in points allowed in the paint per game (45.5) while Charlotte ranks ninth (40.7).
- Charlotte ranks fifth in steals allowed per game (6.7) while New York ranks 14th (7.5).
- New York ranks third in blocks allowed per game (4.5) while Charlotte ranks sixth (5.4).
- In games where they allow below 100 points, Charlotte is 23-4 and New York is 15-2.
- The Knicks are 31-32 when they score above 100 points, while the Hornets are 34-28.
- The Hornets rank 20th in three pointers attempted per game (28.4) while the Knicks rank 27th in three pointers allowed per game (28.8).
- Charlotte ranks fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (13.3) while New York ranks 25th (16.9).
- The Knicks rank first in rebounds allowed per game (44.3) while the Hornets rank 20th (44.5).
- The Hornets rank 22nd in fast break points per game (9.3) while the Knicks rank 27th (10.5).
- New York ranks first in second chance points per game (15.1) while Charlotte ranks 19th (11.7).