The Memphis Grizzlies (19-28) welcome the Charlotte Hornets (22-24) to FedExForum. The Grizzlies are 1-point favorites and will attempt to snap their six-game losing streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 210 points and it can be seen on Fox Sports Carolina at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 23, 2019.
Charlotte Hornets vs. Memphis Grizzlies Betting Odds
Both teams lost big in their last outing. The Grizzlies (3-point favorites) were defeated by the New Orleans Pelicans, 105-85, while the Hornets (8-point underdogs) fell to the Indiana Pacers, 120-95. The Memphis game went 31.5 points under the projected point total of 221.5, while the Charlotte game finished 3.5 points under the projected point total of 218.5.
Charlotte had a free throw rate of 0.207 (above their season average of 0.204) while Memphis forced New Orleans into a turnover percentage of 18.2 (above their season average of 12.2). Marc Gasol played a key role for Memphis with 22 points, eight rebounds and six assists. Kemba Walker, meanwhile had a solid performance for Charlotte, recording 23 points and seven assists.
The Hornets dominated this series last year, taking both games. In the most recent contest, Charlotte won 140-79. The Hornets’ 7.2 turnover percentage was their largest advantage over the Grizzlies, who had a mark of 17.9. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Of the Hornets’ 46 games, 25 have finished over the total. Charlotte holds records of 22-24 straight up (SU) and 23-23 against the spread (ATS).
Vegas tends to place the total high when the Grizzlies are involved, as 61.7 percent of their games have ended under the total. Further, Memphis owns records of 19-28 SU and 19-28 ATS.
Points at the line could be few and far between for Memphis in this matchup. The Grizzlies currently rank 14th in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.201, while Charlotte ranks fourth in FTA rate allowed (0.178). Furthermore, the Hornets commit the fewest errors in the NBA (turnover percentage of 12.0 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of the Grizzlies causes the third-most (opponents’ turnover percentage of 15.6 percent).
Hornets at Grizzlies Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Under
- The Hornets rank 17th in fast break points allowed per game (13.9) while the Grizzlies rank 25th (14.9).
- Memphis ranks fourth in blocks per game (5.9) while Charlotte ranks 29th in blocks allowed per game (6.8).
- The Hornets rank second in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.3) while the Grizzlies rank 16th (17.1).
- Charlotte ranks 15th in second chance points per game (13.3) while Memphis ranks 28th (9.7).
- Charlotte ranks 19th in rebounds per game (44.8) while Memphis ranks 29th (40.0).
- The Grizzlies rank sixth in assists allowed per game (23.0) while the Hornets rank 28th (26.0).
- The Grizzlies rank second in points allowed in the paint per game (41.7) while the Hornets rank 14th (48.7).
- Memphis ranks 13th in three pointers allowed per game (31.1) while Charlotte ranks 28th (33.7).
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Charlotte is 8-0 and Memphis is 11-3.
- The Hornets are 21-19 when they reach 100 points, while the Grizzlies are 12-10.
- Charlotte is 9-13 ATS on the road, while Memphis is 10-12 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 13 of the Grizzlies’ 22 home games, while 13 of the Hornets’ 22 road games have gone over.
- In their last five games, Charlotte and Memphis have both had 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Hornets are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Grizzlies are 1-4.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 109.8 points per game (2.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 105.4 points per game (6.3 below their season average).
- The Grizzlies’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 16.6, up from 3.2 for the season.