The Charlotte Hornets (1-2), 15.5-point underdogs, will travel to the Staples Center to meet the Los Angeles Clippers (2-1). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 225.5 points and it will air on NBATV at 10:30 p.m. ET on Monday, October 28, 2019.
Charlotte Hornets at Los Angeles Clippers Betting Odds
Both teams lost as favorites in their last outing. The Hornets (5-point favorites) were defeated by the Los Angeles Lakers, 120-101, while the Clippers (10-point favorites) fell to the Phoenix Suns, 130-122. The Charlotte game went 4.5 points under the projected point total of 225.5, while the Los Angeles game finished 27 points over the projected point total of 225.
Charlotte did a terrific job of making free throws (21-23; 91.3 percent) while Los Angeles had a better turnover percentage (10.3 vs. 13.7). Los Angeles received a boost from Kawhi Leonard, who contributed 27 points, 10 assists and eight rebounds. Cody Zeller, meanwhile led the way for Charlotte, putting up 19 points and 14 rebounds.
The Clippers dominated this series last year, winning both games. In the last game, Los Angeles won 117-115. Los Angeles had a better effective field goal percentage (0.586 vs. 0.500). Charlotte, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (4.6 vs. 10.4).
The Hornets have had records of 40-45 straight up (SU) and 34-46-4 against the spread (ATS) since last season. Just over half of Charlotte games have finished over the projected point total since last season.
Meanwhile, the Clippers, are 50-35 SU and 44-40-1 ATS since last season. Over that same stretch, Los Angeles’ games have had a tendency to go over the O/U total (54.1 percent).
Since last season, a focal point for the Los Angeles offense has been to get to and convert from the free throw line. The Clippers rank first in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.259), but Charlotte has been among the best in the NBA at keeping opponents away from the charity stripe (ranking third by yielding a FTA rate of 0.179). Furthermore, the Hornets rank second in turnover percentage (11.7 percent), while the Clippers rank 25th in opponents’ turnover percentage (12.3 percent).
Charlotte Hornets vs. Los Angeles Clippers Betting Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Clippers, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2018-Present):
- The Hornets rank 21st in steals per game (7.1) while the Clippers rank 24th in steals allowed per game (8.1).
- Charlotte ranks first in points off turnovers allowed per game (13.9) while Los Angeles ranks 26th (17.8).
- The Clippers rank 18th in assists allowed per game (24.6) while the Hornets rank 28th (26.1).
- Los Angeles ranks ninth in points in the paint per game (50.8) while Charlotte ranks 18th in points allowed in the paint per game (49.7).
- Los Angeles ranks 16th in rebounds per game (45.0) while Charlotte ranks 20th in rebounds allowed per game (45.9).
- The Hornets rank 10th in three pointers attempted per game (34.0) while the Clippers rank 27th (26.4).
- The Hornets rank 20th in fast break points per game (12.1) while the Clippers rank 24th in fast break points allowed per game (15.1).
- Charlotte ranks 18th in blocks per game (4.9) while Los Angeles ranks 29th in blocks allowed per game (6.1).
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, Charlotte is 12-4 and Los Angeles is 7-1.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the Hornets are 39-31 and the Clippers are 52-30.