The Cleveland Cavaliers (19-62), 7-point underdogs, welcome the Charlotte Hornets (38-42) to Quicken Loans Arena to open Eastern Conference play. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 220.5 points and it will air on Fox Sports Carolina at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, April 9, 2019.
Charlotte Hornets at Cleveland Cavaliers ATS Odds
In the Hornets’ last matchup, they defeated the Detroit Pistons, 104-91, as 6.5-point underdogs. The Cavaliers, meanwhile, were thoroughly outplayed by the San Antonio Spurs, 112-90, and were unable to cover as 8.5-point underdogs. The Charlotte game went 22.5 points under the projected point total of 217.5, while the Cleveland game finished 17 points under the projected point total of 219.
Charlotte played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 4.8 (better than their season average of 10.5) and a free throw rate of 0.205 (matching their season average). For those same stats, Detroit was 8.4 and 0.141, respectively. Cleveland, on the other hand, did an excellent job of getting and making free throws (20-27; 74.1 percent). Larry Nance Jr. led the way for Cleveland, contributing 11 points, 10 rebounds and five assists. Kemba Walker, meanwhile fueled Charlotte with 31 points, eight rebounds and seven assists.
In the season series between these two teams, the Hornets lead two games to one. In their most recent game, the two teams combined to put up 209 points, which was under the projected point total of 214.5. Charlotte won 110-99 but was unable to cover as a 14-point favorite. Charlotte out-rebounded Cleveland. The Hornets had more offensive rebounds (13 vs. four), defensive rebounds (38 vs. 31) and total rebounds (51 vs. 35). Walker was the game’s top overall scorer with 30 points.
Vegas has typically been fairly accurate when setting the O/U total of Hornets games, with 43 overs compared to 36 unders. Charlotte comes into the game with records of 38-42 straight up (SU) and 38-40-2 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Cavaliers’ 81 games, 44 have finished over the total. Further, Cleveland is 19-62 SU and 37-42-2 ATS.
Cleveland could have trouble getting to the free throw line in this showdown. The Cavaliers rank 21st in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.188, while Charlotte ranks third in FTA rate allowed (0.180). The Hornets should be expected to protect the ball well. They rank 1st at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 11.5 percent). Conversely, the Cavaliers force the fourth-fewest turnovers in the league (opponents’ turnover percentage of 12.2 percent).
Charlotte Hornets vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Odds Pick
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Cavaliers, O/U – Over
- The Hornets rank 24th in assists per game (23.1) while the Cavaliers rank 28th (20.7).
- Charlotte ranks first in points off turnovers allowed per game (13.6) while Cleveland ranks 18th (16.8).
- The Hornets rank 20th in steals per game (7.3) while the Cavaliers rank 27th (6.6).
- Charlotte ranks 20th in points in the paint per game (46.8) while Cleveland ranks 25th (44.5).
- Charlotte ranks 21st in fast break points per game (11.6) while Cleveland ranks 26th (10.6).
- The Cavaliers rank 12th in three pointers allowed per game (31.4) while the Hornets rank 25th (33.6).
- The Cavaliers rank 11th in second chance points per game (13.6) while the Hornets rank 16th in second chance points allowed per game (13.5).
- Charlotte ranks 23rd in rebounds per game (44.0) while Cleveland ranks 26th (42.7).
- Charlotte ranks 16th in blocks per game (4.9) while Cleveland ranks 27th (2.4).
- Charlotte is 11-4 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Cleveland is 6-3.
- When reaching the century mark, the Cavaliers are 17-34 and the Hornets are 37-29.
- Charlotte is 18-22 ATS on the road, while Cleveland is 19-21 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 23 of the Cavaliers’ 40 home games, while 22 of the Hornets’ 40 road games have gone over.
- The Hornets are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Cavaliers are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Charlotte has 4 unders and 1 push, while Cleveland has 3 overs and 2 unders.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 104.8 points per game (5.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 111.8 points per game (0.1 below their season average).
- The Cavaliers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 14.8, up from 9.4 for the season.