The Brooklyn Nets (16-19) will be 1.5-point favorites at home in the Barclays Center when they go head-to-head against the Charlotte Hornets (16-16). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 220.5 points and it will air on YES Network at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 26, 2018.
Charlotte Hornets at Brooklyn Nets Betting Odds
Neither team was able to cover in their last contest. The Nets (9-point favorites) defeated the Phoenix Suns, 111-103, while the Hornets (7.5-point underdogs) were defeated by the Boston Celtics, 119-103. The Brooklyn game went 4.5 points under the projected point total of 218.5, while the Charlotte game went 4.5 points over the projected point total of 217.5.
Brooklyn dominated nearly every stat category in the contest. They had a free throw rate of 0.247 (above their season average of 0.214) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.1 (above their season average of 25.6). Phoenix put up marks of 0.157 and 22.2, respectively, for those same stats. Charlotte, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (8.3 vs. 12.6). Rodions Kurucs had a solid performance for Brooklyn, finishing with 16 points and 10 rebounds. Charlotte was lifted by Willy Hernangomez, who contributed 19 points and 10 rebounds.
The Hornets held the advantage in this series last year, taking two out of three games. In the most recent matchup, Charlotte won 111-105. Getting to the free throw line was one of Charlotte’s largest advantages. They had 47 free throw attempts, while Brooklyn had just 21. This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year.
Vegas has typically been fairly accurate when setting the total of Hornets games, with 17 overs compared to 15 unders. Charlotte holds records of 16-16 straight up (SU) and 17-15 against the spread (ATS).
In opposition of Charlotte, games including the Nets have a slight tendency to finish under the total (51.4 percent). Moreover, Brooklyn owns records of 16-19 SU and 18-17 ATS.
Brooklyn appears to have an advantage on the offensive glass in this contest. The Nets are among the NBA’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking fourth in offensive rebounding percentage at 25.8 percent. Meanwhile, Charlotte ranks 19th in the league at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 76.5 percent. Ball protection should be an advantage for the Hornets. They rank 1st at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 11.6 percent), while the Nets force the eighth-fewest turnovers in the league (opponents’ turnover percentage of 12.9 percent).
Charlotte Hornets at Brooklyn Nets Free Pick
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Over
- The Hornets rank 19 in steals per game (7.46875) while the Nets rank 26 (6.714285714285714).
- Brooklyn ranks first in three pointers allowed per game (26.2) while Charlotte ranks 25th (33.6).
- The Nets rank 10th in blocks allowed per game (4.8) while the Hornets rank 28th (6.7).
- Brooklyn ranks second in fast break points allowed per game (9.9) while Charlotte ranks 18th (13.9).
- Charlotte averages 48.1875 points in the paint per game, which ranks 14 in the NBA. Brooklyn ranks 22 in points allowed in the paint per game (50.97142857142857).
- The Hornets rank first in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.2) while the Nets rank 23rd (17.8).
- The Hornets average 13 second chance points per game, which ranks 17 in the NBA. The Nets rank 26 in second chance points allowed per game (14.771428571428572).
- Brooklyn averages 44.857142857142854 rebounds per game, which ranks 16 in the NBA. Charlotte ranks 23 in rebounds allowed per game (46.0625).
- Brooklyn ranks sixth in assists allowed per game (22.5) while Charlotte ranks 25th (25.5).
- Charlotte is 5-0 when they allow under 100 points, while Brooklyn is 5-1.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Hornets and Nets are both 15-15.
- Brooklyn is 8-11 ATS at home, while Charlotte is 7-6 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 7 of the Hornets’ 13 road games, while 11 of the Nets’ 19 home games have gone over.
- The Nets are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Hornets are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Brooklyn has 3 unders and 2 overs, while Charlotte has 3 overs and 2 unders.
- During their last five games, the Nets have scored an average of 114.4 points per game (3.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 109.4 points per game (1.7 below their season average).
- The Hornets have been outscored by an average of 4.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Charlotte has defeated opponents by an average of 2.0 points.