The Old Dominion Monarchs (9-3) can continue a six-game home winning streak when they square off against the Charlotte 49ers (4-7) at Constant Convocation Center. Old Dominion opened as a 15.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 137.5 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 30, 2017.
Charlotte 49ers at Old Dominion Monarchs Betting Preview
The last time the 49ers played, they lost a close one to the South Florida Bulls, 78-76. Charlotte’s Jon Davis had 15 points and nine assists in the game. South Florida had an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.3 (above their season average of 30.2). Charlotte, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.200 vs. 0.127).
The Monarchs come in on a high note after topping the Norfolk State Spartans in their last outing, 61-50. Old Dominion rallied around Ahmad Caver, who had 15 points and six assists. Old Dominion dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.472 (above their season average of 0.199) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.9 (above their season average of 32.9). Norfolk State was 0.160 and 27.3, respectively, for those same stats.
When considering effective field goal percentage, Old Dominion should have a considerable edge. The Monarchs defense ranks 47th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.460), while the Charlotte offense is ranked 160th in effective field goal percentage (0.522). Furthermore, the 49ers rank 287th in offensive rebounding percentage (25.5 percent), while the Monarchs rank 60th in defensive rebounding percentage (74.7 percent).
Of Charlotte’s 8 games that accepted bets, four have finished under the O/U total, while 6 of Old Dominion’s 10 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Monarchs have a significant advantage. They are 9-3 SU and 5-5 ATS, while the 49ers are 4-7 SU and 2-6 ATS.
Caver has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Old Dominion, averaging 14.6 points, 6.6 assists and 1.4 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the most recent matchup, the Monarchs won 72-48. The Monarchs played a nearly perfect game. They had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 7.7 and a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 30.8. The 49ers were 24.4 and 13.9, respectively, for those same stats.
Charlotte 49ers at Old Dominion Monarchs Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Old Dominion, ATS Winner – Charlotte, O/U – Under
- The Monarchs rank 78th in assists per game (15.4) while the 49ers rank 110th in assists allowed per game (13.1).
- Old Dominion ranks 227th in three pointers attempted per game (19.0) while Charlotte ranks 251st (18.0).
- Charlotte is 2-3 ATS on the road with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- At home, Old Dominion is 2-1 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over.
- Old Dominion ranks 41st in rebounds per game (39.7) while Charlotte ranks 194th (34.1).
- The Monarchs rank 28th in blocks per game (5.4) while the 49ers rank 159th (2.6).
- Old Dominion ranks 25th in steals allowed per game (5.0) while Charlotte ranks 142nd (7.2).
- Old Dominion is 2-2 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Charlotte is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Monarchs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 14.0, up from 11.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the 49ers have scored an average of 66.8 points per game (6.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.8 points per game (3.2 below their season average).