It figures to be a low-scoring affair as the Charleston Southern Buccaneers (6-9, 0-2 BigSou) travel to Longwood to take on the Lancers (11-6, 1-1 BigSou). Action gets underway at 3 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 12, 2019.
Charleston Southern Buccaneers vs. Longwood Lancers Betting Odds
In their last contest, the Lancers defeated the UNC Asheville Bulldogs, 67-62, while the Buccaneers fell to the Hampton Pirates, 94-82.
The Lancers knocked down 22 of their 27 free throws (81.5 percent) and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.479 vs. 0.465). Charleston Southern, meanwhile, held Hampton to an offensive rebounding percentage of 12.5 (below their season average of 31.0). Lorenzo Phillips played well for Longwood, putting up 14 points and six rebounds. Meanwhile, Phlandrous Fleming Jr. was a key piece for Charleston Southern with 23 points and 12 rebounds.
The Buccaneers dominated this series last year, emerging victorious in both games. In the most recent game, Charleston Southern won 77-65. The Buccaneers’ turnover percentage was their largest advantage over the Lancers. Charleston Southern had a rate of 11.3, while Longwood posted a mark of 22.8. This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
The inefficient offense of Longwood will go head-to-head against the elite defense of Charleston Southern. The Lancers rank 260th in offensive efficiency, while the Buccaneers are 51st in defensive efficiency. The Buccaneers should have the advantage on that end of the court. Also, the Buccaneers are among the country’s best on the offensive backboards, ranking 34th in offensive rebounding percentage (35.3 percent). The Lancers, however, rank 35th in defensive rebounding percentage (75.9 percent).
Charleston Southern vs. Longwood Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Longwood, O/U – Over
- Charleston Southern averages 29.2 three pointers per game, which ranks ninth in the NCAA. Longwood ranks 253rd in three pointers allowed per game (29.1).
- The Lancers average 12.2 assists per game, which ranks 189th in the NCAA. The Buccaneers rank 195th in assists allowed per game (15.0).
- The Lancers rank 90th in rebounds per game (37.4) while the Buccaneers rank 206th in rebounds allowed per game (37.5).
- Charleston Southern ranks 12th in steals per game (9.4) while Longwood ranks 81st (7.1).
- During their last five games, the Buccaneers have scored an average of 76.0 points per game (0.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 69.8 points per game (0.5 below their season average).
- The Lancers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.4, down from 5.2 for the season.