The Charleston Cougars (11-2) will be at Raiford G. Trask Coliseum to square off against the UNCW Seahawks (4-9) in a CAA matchup. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 29, 2018.
Charleston Cougars vs. UNCW Seahawks Betting Odds
In their last matchup, the Seahawks lost to the Campbell Fighting Camels, 97-93, while the Cougars were victorious over the Presbyterian Blue Hose, 85-73.
Charleston dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 and a turnover percentage of 8.9. Presbyterian recorded marks of 23.5 and 14.3, respectively, for those same stats. UNCW, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (32.4 vs. 22.0). UNCW was led by Ty Taylor, who contributed 29 points and eight rebounds. Jarrell Brantley, meanwhile played well for Charleston, recording 19 points and 14 rebounds.
The Cougars dominated this series last year, emerging victorious in both contests. In the most recent matchup, Charleston won 88-74. Charleston had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.750 vs. 0.484). UNCW, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (10.0 vs. 20.4). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
The Cougars’ Brantley has been playing at a high level over his last five games, averaging 0 points per game. Meanwhile, Devontae Cacok has averaged 0 points during that same time frame for the Seahawks.
This contest should be a showdown of opposite paces. UNCW prefers to play fast (95th in possessions per game), while Charleston is slower-paced (309th in possessions per game). The Cougars should be expected to protect the ball well. They rank 38th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.3 percent). Conversely, the Seahawks force the 20th-fewest turnovers in the NCAA (opponents’ turnover percentage of 15.9 percent).
Charleston Cougars vs. UNCW Seahawks Pick
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – UNCW, ATS Winner – UNCW, O/U – Over
- Charleston ranks 38th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while UNCW ranks 160th (8.3).
- The Cougars rank 15th in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while the Seahawks rank 61st (3.1).
- UNCW averages 23.7 three pointers per game, which ranks 103rd in the country. Charleston ranks 149th in three pointers allowed per game (23.5).
- During their last five games, the Seahawks have scored an average of 80.8 points per game (3.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 77.8 points per game (4.1 below their season average).
- The Cougars’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.4, down from 7.5 for the season.