The No. 7 Wichita State Shockers (1-0) welcome the Charleston Cougars (1-0) in a matchup that pits outstanding offense against stifling defense. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 139.5 points with Wichita State opening as a 16.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 9 p.m. ET on Monday, November 13, 2017, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Charleston Cougars vs. Wichita State Shockers Odds Preview
The Cougars beat the Siena Saints in their last outing, 68-60. Grant Riller was the games high scorer with 21 points on 7-for-17 shooting. The Cougars had a much better turnover percentage (6.9 vs. 26.6) and had a better free throw rate (0.243 vs. 0.167).
In the Shockers last matchup, they dismantled the UMKC Kangaroos, 109-57. Wichita State rallied around Darral Willis Jr. who was the games leading scorer with 19 points on 6-for-11 shooting. Wichita State played a perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 29.6 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.711. For those same stats, UMKC put up marks of 14.0 and 0.346, respectively.
This showdown pits one of the NCAAs top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Wichita State ranks fourth in offensive efficiency and Charleston is 58th in defensive efficiency dating back to last season. Moreover, put-back points could be few and far between for the Cougars. They rank 298th in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage at 25.5 percent, while the Shockers have been eighth-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 76.2 percent).
The Cougars have had records of 26-9 straight up (SU) and 17-15-1 against the spread (ATS) since last season. Since last season, games including Charleston have had a tendency to finish over the O/U total (57.6 percent).
On the other hand, the Shockers, are 31-4 SU and 19-12-2 ATS since last season. Just over half of Wichita States games have finished over the O/U total over that same time frame.
Charleston Cougars at Wichita State Shockers Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Wichita State, ATS Winner – Wichita State, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Cougars rank second in steals allowed per game (3.8) while the Shockers rank 47th (5.3).
- Wichita State averages 21.4 three pointers per game, which ranks 149th in the NCAA. Charleston ranks 163rd in three pointers allowed per game (21.1).
- Wichita State ranks 19th in assists per game (16.5) while Charleston ranks 304th (10.2).
- The Shockers rank third in rebounds per game (41.2) while the Cougars rank 233rd (34.3).
- Wichita State ranks 72nd in blocks per game (4.1) while Charleston ranks 154th in blocks allowed per game (3.4).