MAC foes will battle when the Western Michigan Broncos (15-12, 7-7 MAC) take on the Central Michigan Chippewas (16-11, 5-9 MAC) at University Arena in Read Fieldhouse. Western Michigan is a 5.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 147.5 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 20, 2018.
Central Michigan Chippewas at Western Michigan Broncos ATS Preview
In the Chippewas last matchup, they lost to the Eastern Michigan Eagles, 72-67. Kevin McKay put together a good performance for Central Michigan, leading the team in scoring with 14 points on 3-for-11 shooting. Eastern Michigan had an offensive rebounding percentage of 40.0 (above their season average of 30.1). Central Michigan, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 9.8 (better than their season average of 14.9).
The Broncos are trying to rebound after their 75-67 loss to the Northern Illinois Huskies in their last matchup. Thomas Wilder led Western Michigan in scoring with 20 points on 5-for-17 shooting. Northern Illinois had an effective field goal percentage of 0.582 (above their season average of 0.514). Western Michigan, on the other hand, held the Huskies to an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.2 (below their season average of 28.2).
Central Michigan should have the advantage on the offensive side of the ball. The Chippewas rank 68th in offensive efficiency, while Western Michigan ranks 212th in defensive efficiency.
Of Central Michigan’s 22 games with betting action, 12 have finished over the projected point total, while 13 of Western Michigan’s 24 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (16-11 for Central Michigan; 15-12 for Western Michigan), but the Chippewas have the edge against the spread (ATS). Central Michigan is 13-8-1 ATS, while the Broncos are 10-13-1.
McKay has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Central Michigan, averaging 14.4 points, 7.2 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after splitting two games last season. In the most recent game, the Broncos won 88-80. The Broncos played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 35.9 and a free throw rate of 0.234. For those same stats, the Chippewas were 24.4 and 0.181, respectively.
Central Michigan Chippewas at Western Michigan Broncos ATS Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Western Michigan, ATS Winner – Western Michigan, O/U – Over
- On the road, Central Michigan is 8-4 ATS with 8 overs and 4 unders.
- Western Michigan is 3-6-1 ATS at home with 5 overs and 5 unders.
- Central Michigan averages 28.3 three pointers per game, which ranks 10th in the nation. Western Michigan ranks 232nd in three pointers allowed per game (24.0).
- The Broncos rank 20th in steals allowed per game (4.9) while the Chippewas rank 83rd (5.9).
- Central Michigan ranks 84th in rebounds per game (37.1) while Western Michigan ranks 143rd in rebounds allowed per game (34.5).
- Western Michigan is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Central Michigan is 2-2-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Broncos have been outscored by an average of 0.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Western Michigan has defeated opponents by an average of 2.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Chippewas have scored an average of 78.6 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 79.8 points per game (8.2 above their season average).