The St. John’s Red Storm (1-0) will be at home in Carnesecca Arena when they take on the Central Connecticut State Blue Devils (0-2). Tip-off is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, November 14, 2017.
Central Connecticut State Blue Devils at St. John’s Red Storm Free Preview
In the Blue Devils last contest, they fell to the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, 71-67. Tyler Kohl had a good game for Central Connecticut State, leading the team in scoring with 22 points on 8-for-18 shooting. Rutgers had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (37.0 vs. 16.7). Central Connecticut State, on the other hand, had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.546 vs. 0.385).
The Red Storm come in on a high note after defeating the New Orleans Privateers in their last game, 77-61. With 23 points on 7-for-14 shooting, Marcus LoVett was the games leading scorer. The Red Storm had a much better turnover percentage (14.6 vs. 24.9) and had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.554 vs. 0.426).
It will be a battle of opposite tempos as the up-tempo Red Storm will look to push the more grind-it-out Blue Devils. Since last season, the Red Storm rank 39th in possessions per game while the Blue Devils are 299th. Ball protection could be troublesome for the Blue Devils. They rank 325th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 21.7 percent), while the Red Storm have forced the 49th-most turnovers in the nation (opponents turnover percentage of 21.0 percent).
The Blue Devils are 6-25 straight up (SU) and 1-1 against the spread (ATS) since last season. It’s tough to find a trend for games involving Central Connecticut State since last year in regards to the O/U total as there has been an even split between games finishing over and under.
On the other hand, the Red Storm, are 15-19 SU and 15-15-2 ATS since last season. Games featuring St. John’s have had a tendency to go over the projected point total over that same stretch (59.4 percent).
Central Connecticut State Blue Devils vs. St. John’s Red Storm ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – St. John’s, ATS Winner – Central Connecticut State, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Red Storm rank 153rd in assists per game (13.6) while the Blue Devils rank 252nd (11.9).
- St. John’s ranks 78th in steals per game (6.9) while Central Connecticut State ranks 159th in steals allowed per game (6.3).
- St. John’s ranks 80th in three pointers attempted per game (23.3) while Central Connecticut State ranks 320th (14.6).
- The Red Storm rank fifth in blocks per game (5.9) while the Blue Devils rank 234th (2.4).
- Central Connecticut State ranks 190th in rebounds allowed per game (35.5) while St. John’s ranks 301st (39.0).