Sebastian Aho, Teuvo Teravainen, and the Carolina Hurricanes will do battle against Taylor Hall, Kyle Palmieri, and the New Jersey Devils at the Prudential Center in a Metro Division showdown. The opening face-off is at 1 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 29, and you are able to view it live on MSG Network.
Carolina Hurricanes vs. New Jersey Devils Odds
Moneyline and Over/Under (O/U) odds have not yet been posted for this matchup.
Carolina is 15-21 straight up (SU) and has lost 12.8 units for moneyline bettors thus far. 23 of its matches have gone under the total, while 12 have gone over and none have pushed. As the away team this season, the Canes are 6-10 SU.
Carolina has converted on just 15.2 percent of its power play opportunities this season, a figure that places them in the bottom-10 overall among NHL teams. Additionally, its penalty kill is ranked 16th overall, and the team’s successfully killed off 80.4 percent of its penalties..
Averaging 23.3 saves per game with a .901 save percentage, Petr Mrazek (6-10-2) has been the top option in goal for Carolina this year. If Carolina decides to rest him, however, head coach Rod Brind Amour could go with Curtis McElhinney (7-5-1), who has a .918 save percentage and 2.42 goals against average this year.
On the other bench, New Jersey is 13-23 straight up (SU) and has lost 12.6 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 36 regular season matches, 21 of its games have gone over the total, while 12 have gone under and just two have pushed. This season, the team is 9-8 SU as the home team.
The Devils have converted on just 18.8 percent of their power play chances this season, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked sixth overall, and it’s successfully killed off 83.6 percent of all opponent power plays.
Keith Kinkaid (25.6 saves per game) has been the primary option in goal for the Devils. Kinkaid has 12 wins, 17 losses, and six OT losses to his credit and has maintained a subpar .901 save percentage and 3.02 goals against average this year.
Carolina Hurricanes vs. New Jersey Devils Betting Picks
Prediction: SU Winner – Devils, O/U – Under
- Nine of Carolina’s last ten games have been decided by two goals or more. The team is 3-6 in those games.
- The Hurricanes are 6-12 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 10-17 in games where they’re in the box for fewer than 10 penalty minutes, total.
- New Jersey is 0-2 in games decided by a shootout this season while Carolina is 1-2 in shootouts.
- Carolina skaters have averaged 12.0 giveaways over its last five home games, its season average of 11.7 giveaways per game (ranked 25th overall).
- New Jersey has averaged 8.0 giveaways over its last five home games, an improvement from its season average of 9.1 giveaways per game (ranked 12th in the NHL).
- Carolina skaters have dished out the league’s fourth-most hits per game (27.7), but that number’s down to just 22.0 hits over their last five away games.