Andrei Svechnikov, Teuvo Teravainen, and the Carolina Hurricanes will do battle against Elias Pettersson, J.T. Miller, and the Vancouver Canucks at Rogers Arena in an East-West showdown. Sportsnet Pacific will broadcast the game, which gets underway at 10 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 12.
Carolina Hurricanes vs. Vancouver Canucks Odds
The Hurricanes (-130) are favored over the Canucks (+110) and the Over/Under (O/U) is set at an even 6 goals (-115 over, -105 under).
Carolina is 19-12 straight up (SU) and has netted moneyline bettors 0.7 units this season. Through 31 regular season contests, 16 of its games have gone under the total, while 15 have gone over and none have pushed. The Canes are 9-7 SU as an away team in 2019-20.
Carolina has converted on 23.7 percent of its power play chances this year, a mark that places them in the top-5 among NHL teams. Additionally, it has the fifth-strongest penalty kill in the league, and it’s successfully killed off 85.3 percent of all penalties..
Averaging 23.9 saves per game with a .903 save percentage, Petr Mrazek (13-7-1) has been the top option in goal for Carolina this season. If Carolina decides to rest him, however, head coach Rod Brind Amour may roll with James Reimer (6-6), who has a .918 save percentage and 2.62 goals against average this year.
On the other bench, Vancouver is 15-16 straight up (SU) and has lost 1.7 units for moneyline bettors thus far. 17 of its games have gone over the total, while 13 have gone under and just one has pushed. It’s 7-7 SU at home this year.
The Canucks have converted on 25.6 percent of their power play chances this year, a figure that places it in the top-5 among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 14th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 81.7 percent of all opponent power plays.
Jacob Markstrom has stopped 28.3 shots per game as the primary selection in goal for the Canucks. Markstrom has eight wins, 11 losses, and three OT losses to his name and has recorded a .912 save percentage and 2.72 goals against average this season.
Carolina Hurricanes vs. Vancouver Canucks Free Picks
Free NHL Pick: SU Winner – Canucks, O/U – Under
- The Hurricanes are 7-2 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 11-8 in games where they serve fewer than 10 total penalty minutes.
- Vancouver is 3-1 in games decided by a shootout this season while Carolina is 2-0 in shootouts.
- Carolina may hold the upper hand if it’s a tight one late. The team’s 8-3 in games decided by one goal, while Vancouver is 5-9 in such games.
- For both of these teams, the total has gone over in three of their past five matches.
- Carolina has averaged 8.8 giveaways over its last five home games, an improvement from its season average of 10.9 giveaways per game (ranked 20th in the league).
- Vancouver skaters have averaged 7.6 giveaways over its last five home games, an improvement from its season average of 8.8 giveaways per game (ranked 6th in the NHL).