The Canisius Golden Griffins (8-10, 3-4 MAAC) will be at the Hynes Athletics Center to square off with the Iona Gaels (4-9, 2-4 MAAC) in a MAAC matchup. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 24, 2020.
Canisius Golden Griffins vs. Iona Gaels ATS Odds
In their last game, the Gaels were beaten by the Marist Red Foxes, 83-73, while the Golden Griffins defeated the Rider Broncs, 95-86.
Canisius’ 0.680 effective field goal percentage was their biggest strength over Rider, who had a rate of 0.542. The Golden Griffins’ mark was above their season average of 0.489. Iona, meanwhile, forced Marist into a turnover percentage of 23.4 (above their season average of 17.6). Iona’s Isaiah Washington had a good outing, contributing 14 points and five assists. Meanwhile, Malik Johnson played a key role for Canisius with 18 points and 11 assists.
The Gaels dominated this series last year, taking both contests. In the most recent contest, Iona won 87-80. Making free throws was one of Iona’s biggest strengths. They were 23-24 (95.8 percent), while the Golden Griffins were just 8-12 (66.7 percent). This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
This has potential to be an error-filled game for the Iona offense. Iona ranks 322nd in the country in ball protection (turnover percentage of 22.2 percent), while the disruptive defense of Canisius forces the 30th-most turnovers in the NCAA (23.7 percent).
Canisius at Iona Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Iona, ATS Winner – Iona, O/U – Under
- Iona ranks 46th in three pointers attempted per game (25.8) while Canisius ranks 217th (19.7).
- The Gaels rank 37th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while the Golden Griffins rank 54th (2.9).
- Canisius ranks 225th in rebounds per game (33.8) while Iona ranks 233rd (33.5).
- The Golden Griffins average 14.6 assists per game, which ranks 70th in the NCAA. The Gaels rank 234th in assists allowed per game (16.2).
- Iona averages 8.3 steals per game, which ranks 36th in the NCAA. Canisius ranks 166th in steals allowed per game (7.4).
- During their last five games, the Gaels have scored an average of 67.2 points per game (0.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.8 points per game (3.4 below their season average).
- The Golden Griffins have scored an equal number of points as their opponents. On the season, Canisius has lost by an average of 0.6 points.