The Calgary Flames, led by Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Tkachuk, are preparing to take the ice against Dylan Larkin, Tyler Bertuzzi, and the Detroit Red Wings at Little Caesars Arena in an East-West tilt. Sportsnet will broadcast the game, and the puck drops at 7 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 23.
Calgary Flames at Detroit Red Wings Odds
The Flames (-225) are tabbed as the favorites over the Red Wings (+185), and the Over/Under (O/U) is set at an even 6 goals (-105 for the over, -115 for the under).
Calgary is 31-31 straight up (SU) and has lost 8.2 units for moneyline bettors thus far. Through 62 regular season outings, 30 of its games have gone over the total, while 28 have gone under and just four have pushed. As a road team in 2019-20, the Flames are 17-15 SU.
Calgary has converted on 20.1 percent of its power play opportunities this season, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked ninth overall, and it has successfully killed off 82.1 percent of its penalties..
Averaging 27.8 saves per game with a .908 save percentage, David Rittich (22-21-5) has been the primary option in goal for Calgary this year. If it chooses to rest him, however, head coach Geoff Ward might turn to Cam Talbot (9-14-1 record, .914 save percentage, 2.83 goals against average).
Detroit is 15-48 straight up (SU) and has lost 22.6 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 63 regular season outings, 31 of its games have gone under the total, while 25 have gone over and just seven have pushed. The team’s 10-20 SU at home this year.
The Red Wings have converted on just 14.7 percent of their power play chances this year, a mark that places them in the bottom overall among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 29th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 75.1 percent of all penalties.
Jonathan Bernier (26.6 saves per game) has been the top option in goal for the Red Wings. Bernier has 13 wins, 25 losses, and two overtime losses to his credit and has registered a mediocre 2.89 goals against average and a subpar .908 save percentage this year.
Calgary Flames vs. Detroit Red Wings Free Picks
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Red Wings, O/U – Under
- Over Detroit’s last ten outings, seven of them have been decided by two or more goals (the team is 1-6 in those games).
- The Red Wings are 6-14 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 10-34 in games where they serve fewer than 10 total penalty minutes.
- Detroit is 2-1 in games decided by a shootout this season while Calgary is 6-1 in shootouts.
- Calgary could hold the upper hand if it’s a tight one late. The team’s an impressive 17-10 in games decided by one goal, while Detroit is 8-11 in such games.
- The over has hit in four of Calgary’s last five outings.
- Calgary is ranked 26th this season with 12.0 giveaways per game. That figure has trended upward recently, as the team’s averaged 13.4 giveaways over its last 10 games and 14.4 giveaways over its last five.
- Detroit skaters have averaged 13.2 giveaways over its last five home games, a rise over its season average of 11.5 giveaways per game (ranked 24th in the NHL).
- The Wings this season have handed the 11th-most hits in the league (22.3 per game).