Matthew Tkachuk, Johnny Gaudreau, and the Calgary Flames are set to do battle against Brent Burns, Logan Couture, and the San Jose Sharks at the SAP Center in a divisional tilt. Sportsnet 360 will broadcast the matchup, and the action gets underway at 9 p.m. ET on Sunday, November 11.
Calgary Flames vs. San Jose Sharks Odds
With a -175 moneyline, San Jose enters the matchup as the heavy favorite. The line for Calgary sits at +155, and the Over/Under (O/U) is set at 6 goals (-125 money on the over, +105 on the under).
Calgary is 10-7 straight up (SU) and has earned 1.6 units for moneyline bettors this year. Nine of its matches have gone over the total, while seven have gone under and none have pushed. The Flames are 6-4 SU as the road team in 2018-19.
Calgary has converted on just 15.9 percent of its power play opportunities this year, a figure that places them in the bottom-10 overall among NHL teams. Its penalty kill is ranked 23rd overall, and the team’s successfully killed off 75.9 percent of its penalties..
Averaging 22.8 saves per game with a .872 save percentage, Mike Smith (5-6-1) has been the top option in goal for Calgary this season. If head coach Bill Peters chooses to rest him, however, Calgary could turn to David Rittich (5-3 record, .935 save percentage, 1.91 goals against average).
Over on the other bench, San Jose is 8-9 straight up (SU) and has lost 6.3 units for moneyline bettors thus far. 10 of its matches have gone over the total, while seven have gone under and none have pushed. Thus far, the team is 4-3 SU as the home team.
The Sharks have converted on just 18.5 percent of their power play opportunities this year, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked third overall, and it’s successfully killed off 87.7 percent of all opponent power plays.
Martin Jones (23.8 saves per game) has been the top selection in goal for the Sharks. Jones has seven wins, five losses, and one overtime loss to his credit and has registered a mediocre 2.84 goals against average and a subpar .893 save percentage this year.
Calgary Flames vs. San Jose Sharks Free Picks
Pick: SU Winner – Sharks, O/U – Over
- The majority (60.0 percent) of Calgary’s wins have come by two or more goals, and the team is 6-4 overall in such games. 3 of San Jose’s wins (37.5 percent) have been decided by two or more goals.
- The Flames are 5-3 in games where they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 8-5 when they’re in the penalty box for fewer than 10 total minutes.
- For both of these teams, the game went over the total in three of their last five outings.
- Calgary is ranked 27th this season with 12.3 giveaways per game. That figure’s trended upward recently, as the team’s averaged 13.5 giveaways over its last 10 games and 17.0 giveaways over its last five.
- San Jose skaters have averaged 6.6 giveaways over its last five home games, its season average of 7.2 giveaways per game (ranked 5th overall).