In what is already their final head-to-head meeting of the regular season, the Calgary Flames and the Detroit Red Wings face off at Little Caesars Arena in an East-versus-West tilt. The opening face-off takes place at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, November 15, and it can be viewed live on Sportsnet.
Calgary Flames vs. Detroit Red Wings Odds
Calgary is 10-7 straight up (SU) and has netted moneyline bettors 1.2 units this season. Through 17 regular season matches, nine of its games have gone over the total, while seven have gone under and just one has pushed. The Flames are 4-2 SU as the away team in 2017-18.
Calgary has converted on 17.2 percent of its power play opportunities this year, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 30th out of 31 teams, and it’s successfully killed off only 74.6 percent of its penalties.
For the team as a whole, Calgary has been sent to the penalty box 4.0 times per game during the 2017-18 season, and 5.4 per game over its last five on the road. The team has had to kill penalties just 5.9 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Averaging 29.1 saves per game with a .921 save percentage, Mike Smith (10-6) has been the best option in goal for Calgary this season. If head coach Glen Gulutzan chooses to rest him, however, Calgary may turn to Eddie Lack (1-2 record, .857 save percentage, 3.76 goals against average).
Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan will both lead the way for the visiting Flames. Gaudreau (24 points) is up to seven goals and 17 assists, and has recorded two or more points six times. Monahan has eight goals and eight assists to his creditand has registered a point in 12 games.
On the other side of the rink, Detroit is 8-10 straight up (SU) and has lost 0.4 units for moneyline bettors this year. 10 of its matches have gone under the total, while eight have gone over and none have pushed. It’s 2-4 SU as the home team so far this year.
Detroit has converted on 18.9 percent of its power play opportunities this year, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked sixth overall, and it’s successfully killed off 84.6 percent of all opponent power plays.
Detroit skaters have been whistled for penalties 4.2 times per game in total this season, and 3.2 per game over their last five at home. The team’s been forced to stave off opponent power plays just 7.8 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Jimmy Howard has stopped 29.8 shots per game as the primary netminder in goal for Detroit. Howard has six wins, seven losses, and one OT loss to his name and has recorded a 2.34 goals against average and a .930 save percentage this year.
The home team offense will be led by Anthony Mantha (eight goals, eight assists).
Calgary Flames at Detroit Red Wings Betting Predictions
Predictions: SU Winner – Flames, O/U – Over
- The under has hit in four of Detroit’s last five games.
- The Red Wings are 1-4 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 4-6 in games where they’re in the penalty box for fewer than 10 minutes, total.
- Calgary is 2-0 in games decided by a shootout this season while Detroit is 2-1 in shootouts.
- Detroit skaters have created 5.0 takeaways per game over its last five home games, a drop-off from its season average of 6.7 takeaways per game (ranked 22nd in the league).
- Calgary is ranked sixth in the NHL this season with 9.5 takeaways per game. That figure has trended higher, as the team has forced 11.4 takeaways over its last 10 games and 15.0 takeaways over its last five.
- Calgary might have an advantage if it’s a tight one late. The team’s 5-2 in games decided by one goal, while Detroit is 3-5 in such games.