In their second head-to-head meeting of the regular season, the Calgary Flames and the Arizona Coyotes collide at Gila River Arena for a divisional tilt. Fox Sports Arizona will broadcast the matchup, and the puck drops at 9 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 22.
Calgary Flames at Arizona Coyotes Odds
Calgary is 30-30 straight up (SU) and has lost 5.3 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 60 regular season matches, 31 of its games have gone under the total, while 28 have gone over and just one has pushed. The Flames are 17-12 SU as an away team in 2017-18.
Calgary has converted on just 18.0 percent of its power play opportunities this year, a figure that places them in the bottom-10 overall among NHL teams. Its penalty kill is ranked 19th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 79.7 percent of its penalties.
The Flames, as a collective unit, have been penalized 4.3 times per game in the 2017-18 season, and 5.0 per game over its past five outings. The team has had to kill penalties 9.8 minutes per game over their last five road outings.
Averaging 29.0 saves per game with a .921 save percentage, Mike Smith (24-23-6) has been the primary option in goal for Calgary this year. If it chooses to give him a rest, however, the team could turn to David Rittich (7-8-3 record, .902 save percentage, 3.03 goals against average).
The visiting Flames have relied heavily on Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan this season. Gaudreau has 69 points via 19 goals and 50 assists, and has recorded two or more points 19 times. Monahan has 27 goals and 28 assists to his credit (and has registered a point in 36 games).
Over on the other bench, Arizona is 17-42 straight up (SU) and has lost 19.4 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 59 regular season matches, 31 of its games have gone under the total, while 27 have gone over and just one has pushed. It’s 9-20 SU at home this year.
The Coyotes have converted on just 17.0 percent of their power play opportunities this year, a figure that places them in the bottom 5 overall among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 20th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 79.4 percent of all opponent power plays.
Arizona skaters have been whistled for penalties only 3.2 times per game in total this season, and 5.2 per game over their last five at home. The team’s been forced to defend opponent power plays 8.5 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Antti Raanta (26.6 saves per game) has been the top selection in goal for the Coyotes. Raanta has 13 wins, 22 losses, and six overtime losses to his credit and has registered a 2.45 goals against average and a .924 save percentage this year.
Clayton Keller (17 goals, 27 assists) will lead the offensive attack for the Coyotes.
Calgary Flames vs. Arizona Coyotes Betting Predictions
Pick: SU Winner – Coyotes, O/U – Under
- The Coyotes are 6-18 when the team serves fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 12-32 in games where they serve fewer than 10 total penalty minutes.
- Arizona is 1-5 in games decided by a shootout this season while Calgary is 2-5 in shootouts.
- Calgary might hold the upper hand if this one comes down to the wire. The team’s 18-15 in games decided by one goal, while Arizona is only 11-18 in such games.
- The over has hit in three of Arizona’s last five outings.
- Arizona has scored 2.4 goals per game overall this season, but has upped that figure to 3.5 per matchup over its four-game winning streak.
- Arizona skaters have averaged 7.0 giveaways over its last five home games, its season average of 7.3 giveaways per game (ranked 7th in the league).
- Calgary has averaged 7.2 giveaways over its last five home games, an improvement from its season average of 10.0 giveaways per game (ranked 19th overall).
- The Coyotes this season have handed the sixth-most hits in the NHL (24.4 per game).