Expect a defensive struggle when the San Diego Toreros (16-11, 7-8 WCC) and the BYU Cougars (21-7, 10-5 WCC) clash at Jenny Craig Pavilion. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 17, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN Full Court.
BYU Cougars at San Diego Toreros ATS Preview
The last time the Cougars played, they beat the Pepperdine Waves, 75-70. Elijah Bryant was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 7-for-13 shooting. The Cougars knocked down 19 of their 25 free throws (76.0 percent) and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.519 vs. 0.460).
The Toreros are hoping for a better outcome after their 67-55 loss to the Pacific Tigers in their last contest. Olin Carter III was San Diego’s high scorer with 16 points on 6-for-16 shooting. Pacific did a great job of making free throws (19-22; 86.4 percent). San Diego, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (14.2 vs. 18.1).
Baskets could be hard to come by in this showdown between a pair of the nation’s best defenses. San Diego ranks 41st in defensive efficiency (97.3) and BYU is 44th (97.5). Also, the Cougars are among the nations elite at getting to the line, ranking 17th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.300). The Toreros, meanhwile, rank 331st in opponents FTA rate (0.315).
These teams have already met once this season. The Cougars won 74-58. The Cougars dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurdly low turnover percentage of 8.5 and a solid free throw rate of 0.315. The Toreros recorded marks of 21.9 and 0.176, respectively, for those same stats. TJ Haws was the games top overall scorer with 24 points.
BYU Cougars vs. San Diego Toreros Free Prediction
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – BYU, ATS Winner – BYU, O/U – Over
- The Cougars allow the 48th-fewest blocks per game (2.8) while the Toreros rank 60th (2.9).
- San Diego ranks 84th in three pointers attempted per game (23.9) while BYU ranks 260th (18.4).
- The Cougars rank 11th in rebounds allowed per game (30.4) while the Toreros rank 129th (34.2).
- San Diego ranks second in assists allowed per game (9.1) while BYU ranks 101st (12.8).
- The Toreros have been outscored by an average of 5.8 points in their last five games. On the season, San Diego has defeated opponents by an average of 4.0 points.
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 71.8 points per game (3.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.0 points per game (3.0 above their season average).