The BYU Cougars (8-5) will travel to Viejas Arena at Aztec Bowl to square off against the San Diego State Aztecs (6-4). The game can be seen on CBS Sports Network at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 22, 2018.
BYU Cougars at San Diego State Aztecs Betting Odds
In their last game, the Aztecs defeated the UAPB Golden Lions, 76-60, while the Cougars fell to the seventh-ranked Nevada Wolf Pack, 86-70.
San Diego State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 15.4 and a free throw rate of 0.286. For those same stats, UAPB put up marks of 22.5 and 0.214, respectively. BYU, meanwhile, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.420 vs. 0.439). San Diego State’s Jalen McDaniels had a good outing, contributing 15 points, nine rebounds and five assists. Yoeli Childs, meanwhile was a key piece for BYU with 16 points and 12 rebounds.
The Cougars’ Childs has been playing at a high level over his last five games, averaging 0 points per game. Meanwhile, McDaniels has averaged 0 points during that same time frame for the Aztecs.
There’s a decent chance that BYU struggles to create turnovers. San Diego State ranks 90th in the country at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 18.9 percent), while BYU forces the 43rd-fewest turnovers (16.8 percent).
BYU vs. San Diego State Free Pick
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – San Diego State, ATS Winner – San Diego State, O/U – Over
- San Diego State ranks 58th in rebounds allowed per game (33.7) while BYU ranks 225th (39.5).
- The Cougars rank 33rd in steals allowed per game (5.4) while the Aztecs rank 84th (6.2).
- BYU ranks 39th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while San Diego State ranks 69th (2.6).
- The Cougars rank 27th in assists per game (16.9) while the Aztecs rank 124th in assists allowed per game (12.3).
- BYU ranks 111th in three pointers attempted per game (23.4) while San Diego State ranks 176th in three pointers allowed per game (25.6).
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 80.6 points per game (4.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 66.6 points per game (9.5 below their season average).
- The Aztecs’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.8, down from 9.2 for the season.