The Pepperdine Waves (15-14, 8-7 WCC) welcome the 17th-ranked BYU Cougars (23-7, 12-3 WCC) to Firestone Fieldhouse as the regular season comes to an end. The game will air on CBS Sports Network at 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 29, 2020.
BYU Cougars vs. Pepperdine Waves ATS Odds
In their last matchup, the Waves lost a close one to the San Francisco Dons, 63-61, while the Cougars defeated the second-ranked Gonzaga Bulldogs, 91-78.
The Cougars held the Bulldogs to an effective field goal percentage of 0.458 (below their season average of 0.579) and had a turnover percentage of 12.5 (better than their season average of 14.4). Pepperdine, on the other hand, held San Francisco to an effective field goal percentage of 0.397 (below their season average of 0.515). Kessler Edwards had a solid performance for Pepperdine, putting up 12 points, 11 rebounds and six blocks. Yoeli Childs, meanwhile played a key role for BYU with 28 points and 10 rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Jake Toolson led the Cougars to a 107-80 win. He scored a game-high 25 points. The Cougars’ offensive rebounding percentage was their largest strength over the Waves. BYU had a rate of 28.6, while Pepperdine posted a mark of 17.6.
BYU might have a difficult time creating turnovers. Pepperdine ranks 77th in the country at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 17.6 percent), while BYU forces the 228th-most turnovers (18.5 percent). Also, the Cougars’ fourth-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 114.5) will go head-to-head against the Waves’ 311th-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 106.2).
BYU vs. Pepperdine Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Pepperdine, ATS Winner – Pepperdine, O/U – Over
- BYU averages 17.4 assists per game, which ranks fifth in the NCAA. Pepperdine ranks 266th in assists allowed per game (15.9).
- The Waves rank 208th in rebounds per game (34.0) while the Cougars rank 241st (33.0).
- The Cougars rank 51st in three pointers attempted per game (25.1) while the Waves rank 162nd in three pointers allowed per game (21.8).
- BYU allows the 14th-fewest blocks per game (2.3) while Pepperdine ranks 56th (2.8).
- The Cougars’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 12.2, up from 11.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Waves have scored an average of 70.8 points per game (5.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.8 points per game (4.9 below their season average).