The NCAA’s top scoring team will be at home in McCarthey Athletic Center, when the top-ranked Gonzaga Bulldogs (19-1, 5-0 WCC) challenge the BYU Cougars (14-5, 3-1 WCC). Action begins at 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 18, 2020, and can be seen on ESPN2.
BYU Cougars vs. Gonzaga Bulldogs Betting Odds
Both teams easily got past their last opponent. The Bulldogs defeated the Santa Clara Broncos 104-54, while the Cougars beat the San Diego Toreros 93-70.
The Cougars forced 17 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.642 (above their season average of 0.576). The Bulldogs, on the other hand, knocked down 28 of their 32 free throws (87.5 percent) and held the Broncos to an effective field goal percentage of 0.326 (below their season average of 0.549). Gonzaga was lifted by Drew Timme, who recorded 15 points and 11 rebounds. Kolby Lee, meanwhile played a pivotal role for BYU with 21 points and five rebounds.
The Bulldogs dominated this series last year, taking both games. In the most recent matchup, Gonzaga won 102-68. The Bulldogs’ 7.2 turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Cougars, who had a mark of 18.1. This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year.
It might turn into a high-scoring affair as two of the country’s premier offenses battle. Gonzaga currently ranks first with 121.2 points per 100 possessions and BYU is 20th (112.2). Moreover, the Cougars rank 337th in offensive rebounding percentage (21.4 percent), while the Bulldogs rank 27th in defensive rebounding percentage (76.8 percent).
BYU Cougars vs. Gonzaga Bulldogs ATS Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – BYU, ATS Winner – BYU, O/U – Under
- Gonzaga ranks eighth in rebounds per game (41.8) while BYU ranks 204th (34.2).
- The Cougars rank 24th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while the Bulldogs rank 73rd (3.1).
- Gonzaga ranks 66th in steals per game (7.7) while BYU ranks 72nd in steals allowed per game (5.9).
- The Cougars average 17.4 assists per game, which ranks eighth in the country. The Bulldogs rank 80th in assists allowed per game (11.6).
- BYU averages 25.4 three pointers per game, which ranks 55th in the NCAA. Gonzaga ranks 116th in three pointers allowed per game (21.3).
- The Bulldogs’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 27.4, up from 22.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cougars have scored an average of 83.0 points per game (7.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 67.6 points per game (4.0 above their season average).