Expect a defensive battle when the Georgetown Hoyas (10-1) and the Butler Bulldogs (10-3) battle at Capital One Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 145 points with Butler set as a 4-point favorite. Action gets underway at 6:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 27, 2017.
Butler Bulldogs at Georgetown Hoyas ATS Preview
The Bulldogs won big over the Western Illinois Leathernecks in their last game, 107-46. With 11 points and 12 rebounds, Nate Fowler had a good performance for Butler. Butler played a flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.227 (above their season average of 0.190) and a turnover percentage of 9.8 (better than their season average of 15.8). Western Illinois put up marks of 0.082 and 23.0, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Hoyas last matchup, they blew out the Alabama A&M Bulldogs, 89-49. With 16 points on 6-for-7 shooting, Antwan Walker was the games high scorer. Georgetown played a flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.250 (matching their season average) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.617 (above their season average of 0.547). Alabama A&M was 0.068 and 0.381, respectively, for those same stats.
The game should be a battle of strength against strength as the prolific offense of Georgetown takes on the top-notch defense of Butler. The Hoyas rank 42nd in offensive efficiency, while the Bulldogs are 49th in defensive efficiency. Also, the Bulldogs rank 298th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.193), while the Hoyas rank 19th in opponents FTA rate (0.165).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games involving Butler have finished over 58.3 percent of the time, while Georgetown games have finished under 71.4 percent of the time. The Hoyas hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (10-1 vs. 10-3), but the Bulldogs have been better against the spread (ATS) (7-5 vs. 3-5).
Kelan Martin has been superb over the last five games for Butler, averaging 20.2 points, 9.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Hoyas won the most recent game 85-81. Georgetown did a great job of making free throws (15-18; 83.3 percent). Butler, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (12.7 vs. 19.1).
Butler Bulldogs at Georgetown Hoyas Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Butler, ATS Winner – Butler, O/U – Under
- The Bulldogs rank 46th in steals per game (7.8) while the Hoyas rank 115th (6.3).
- Butler averages 22.3 three pointers per game, which ranks 134th in the NCAA. Georgetown ranks 200th in three pointers allowed per game (24.3).
- On the road, Butler is 1-4 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- At home, Georgetown is 2-5 ATS with 5 unders and 1 over.
- Georgetown ranks 16th in rebounds per game (41.1) while Butler ranks 170th (35.0).
- The Hoyas rank 10th in assists per game (18.9) while the Bulldogs rank 123rd (14.1).
- Georgetown ranks 29th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while Butler ranks 101st (3.6).
- Georgetown is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Butler is 3-2 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Hoyas average margin of victory in their last five games has been 13.6, down from 17.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 87.0 points per game (9.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 66.6 points per game (0.7 above their season average).