The sixth-ranked Butler Bulldogs (14-1, 2-0 Big East) visit Dunkin’ Donuts Center to go head-to-head against the Providence Friars (10-6, 3-0 Big East). The Bulldogs are a 3-point favorite and look to extend their five-game winning streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 126 points and action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Friday, January 10, 2020.
Butler Bulldogs at Providence Friars Betting Odds
Both teams covered in their last matchup. The Friars (5.5-point underdogs) defeated the Marquette Golden Eagles 81-80, while the Bulldogs (4.5-point favorite) beat the Creighton Bluejays 71-57. The Providence game went 16 points over the projected point total of 145, while the Butler game went 7 points under the projected point total of 135.
Butler dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a great turnover percentage of 9.3 (better than their season average of 16.0) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.6 (below their season average of 28.2). Creighton was 17.6 and 12.1, respectively, for those same stats. The Friars, on the other hand, had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.373 (above their season average of 0.220) and held the Golden Eagles to an effective field goal percentage of 0.445 (below their season average of 0.522). Maliek White put together a good performance for Providence with 19 points and five rebounds. Sean McDermott had a good outing for Butler, finishing with 18 points and 11 rebounds.
The Friars dominated this series last year, securing victories in all three games. In the most recent game, Providence won 80-57. Providence’s free throw rate was their biggest strength over Butler. The Friars had a rate of 0.212, while the Bulldogs posted a mark of 0.075. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Bulldogs games have a tendency to finish under the total (71.4 percent). Butler heads into the contest with records of 14-1 straight up (SU) and 10-4 against the spread (ATS).
Unlike Butler, just over half of Friars games have finished over the projected point total. Providence has a solid 10-6 SU record, but they have a difficult time covering the spread (6-9 ATS).
Expect this one to be a clinic on boxing out as two of the country’s top rebounding teams square off. The Friars currently rank 60th in offensive rebounding percentage (33.2 percent), while Butler ranks 12th in defensive rebounding percentage (78.1 percent). Moreover, the Bulldogs’ 10th-ranked defense (effective field goal percentage allowed of 0.423) will square off against the Friars’ 278th-ranked offense (effective field goal percentage of 0.478).
Butler Bulldogs at Providence Friars Free Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Butler, ATS Winner – Butler, O/U – Over
- Providence ranks 13th in steals per game (9.6) while Butler ranks 211th (4.8).
- The Bulldogs rank third in rebounds allowed per game (28.5) while the Friars rank 191st (37.2).
- Butler ranks 26th in assists allowed per game (10.0) while Providence ranks 124th (12.6).
- Providence is 4-3 ATS at home, while Butler is 4-2 ATS on the road.
- Of the Bulldogs’ 6 road games, they have 4 unders and 2 overs.
- Of the Friars’ 7 home games, they have 4 overs and 3 unders.
- The Friars are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Bulldogs are 3-2.
- In their last five games, Providence has 3 unders and 2 overs, while Butler has 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Friars’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.6, down from 6.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 66.8 points per game (1.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 50.6 points per game (3.5 below their season average).