The Brooklyn Nets (12-21) head to New Orleans to play the Pelicans (17-16) in what should be a fast-paced game. New Orleans opened as a 10-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 220.5 points. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 27, 2017, and it can be seen on YES Network.
Brooklyn Nets at New Orleans Pelicans Betting Preview
The Nets were beaten by the San Antonio Spurs in their last contest, 109-97. Caris LeVert put together a solid game for Brooklyn, leading the team in scoring with 18 points on 8-for-11 shooting. San Antonio did a great job of converting from the free throw line (20-24; 83.3 percent). Brooklyn, on the other hand, held the Spurs to an offensive rebounding percentage of 13.2 (below their season average of 24.1).
In the Pelicans last game, they beat the Miami Heat, 109-94. New Orleans rallied around DeMarcus Cousins, who put up 16 points, eight assists and seven rebounds. The Pelicans made 16 of their 19 free throws (84.2 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.637 (above their season average of 0.554).
There should be a fair amount of transition action in this matchup that features a pair of the leagues more up-tempo teams. New Orleans currently ranks fifth in possessions per game (101.8) and Brooklyn is fourth (102.6).
Of Brooklyn’s 32 games with betting action, 17 have finished under the projected point total, while 20 of New Orleans 33 games have finished over the projected point total. The Pelicans have the substantial advantage straight up (SU) (17-16 vs. 12-21), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. New Orleans is 19-14, while Brooklyn is 19-13 ATS.
LeVert has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Brooklyn, averaging 12.0 points per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Nets won the last game 143-114. Brooklyn did a great job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (32-35; 91.4 percent). New Orleans, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (7.3 vs. 14.0).
Brooklyn Nets vs. New Orleans Pelicans Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- The Nets rank 11th in fast break points allowed per game (10.8) while the Pelicans rank 27th (13.9).
- Brooklyn averages 12.3 second chance points per game, which ranks 14th in the NBA. New Orleans ranks 24th in second chance points allowed per game (13.5).
- Brooklyn ranks 16th in steals allowed per game (7.9) while New Orleans ranks 28th (8.9).
- Brooklyn ranks 20th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.5) while New Orleans ranks 26th (18.8).
- Brooklyn is 11-6 ATS on the road with 10 unders and 7 overs.
- At home, New Orleans is 8-7 ATS with 10 overs and 5 unders.
- New Orleans is 6-0 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Brooklyn is 7-0.
- The Pelicans are 15-11 when they reach the century mark, while the Nets are 10-15.
- The Pelicans rank second in assists per game (26.4) while the Nets rank 14th (22.5).
- Brooklyn ranks second in three pointers attempted per game (34.4) while New Orleans ranks 26th in three pointers allowed per game (31.2).
- The Pelicans average 50.3 points in the paint per game, which ranks second in the league. The Nets rank 23rd in points allowed in the paint per game (45.9).
- The Pelicans rank 16th in rebounds allowed per game (43.3) while the Nets rank 26th (45.9).
- New Orleans ranks sixth in blocks allowed per game (4.2) while Brooklyn ranks 26th (5.4).
- New Orleans is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Brooklyn is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Pelicans have outscored opponents by an average of 4.0 points in their last five games. On the season, New Orleans has been defeated by an average of 0.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Nets have scored an average of 106.2 points per game (1.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 105.8 points per game (4.4 below their season average).