The Brooklyn Nets (20-45) will attempt to end a 10-game road losing streak when they take on the Charlotte Hornets (28-37) at Spectrum Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 218 points with Charlotte set as a 7.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Thursday March 8 2018 and it can be seen on YES Network.
Brooklyn Nets at Charlotte Hornets ATS Preview
In the Nets’ last contest they fell to the Golden State Warriors 114-101. With 20 points on 8-for-14 shooting D’Angelo Russell led Brooklyn in scoring. Golden State had an effective field goal percentage of 0.633 (above their season average of 0.581). Brooklyn on the other hand did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (20-25; 80.0 percent).
The Hornets are trying to rebound after their 128-114 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers in their last outing. Dwight Howard was the top scorer from either team with 30 points on 12-for-17 shooting. Philadelphia had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (28.6 vs. 19.0). Charlotte on the other hand did an excellent job of getting and making free throws (23-31; 74.2 percent).
Charlotte should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Charlotte ranks second in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.2 percent), while Brooklyn forces the fewest turnovers (11.9 percent).
Of Brooklyn’s 65 games 36 have finished under the projected point total while 32 of Charlotte’s 65 games have finished over the O/U total. The Hornets have the better straight up (SU) record (28-37 vs. 20-45), but the Nets hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (37-27-1 vs. 26-35-4).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Nets it’s been DeMarre Carroll who has averaged 16.4 points and 6.8 rebounds while the Hornets have received solid contributions from Nicolas Batum (11.2 points 9.4 assists 7.2 rebounds and 1.8 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 207 points in that game which was under the projected point total of 216.5. The Hornets won 111-96 covering as 9-point favorites. The Hornets dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.184 and a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 30.2. The Nets were 0.108 and 21.2 respectively for those same stats. Dante Cunningham had a double-double in the loss with 22 points and 12 rebounds.
Brooklyn Nets vs. Charlotte Hornets Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Hornets ATS Winner – Nets O/U – Over
- The Nets rank second in three pointers attempted per game (35.2) while the Hornets rank 22nd (26.9).
- Charlotte ranks 20th in blocks per game (4.6) while Brooklyn ranks last in blocks allowed per game (5.8).
- Charlotte ranks second in steals allowed per game (6.4) while Brooklyn ranks 15th (7.8).
- Charlotte is 16-17-1 ATS at home while Brooklyn is 21-13 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 18 of the Nets’ 34 road games while 17 of the Hornets’ 34 home games have gone over.
- When allowing under 100 points Brooklyn is 12-1 and Charlotte is 10-3.
- The Hornets are 27-16 when they reach the century mark while the Nets are 16-30.
- The Nets rank 12th in assists per game (23.1) while the Hornets rank 25th (21.4).
- Charlotte ranks fourth in rebounds per game (45.1) while Brooklyn ranks last in rebounds allowed per game (46.4).
- The Hornets rank first in second chance points allowed per game (10.1) while the Nets rank 25th (13.3).
- The Nets rank 18th in fast break points per game (10.4) while the Hornets rank 27th (9.2).
- Charlotte ranks first in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.0) while Brooklyn ranks 22nd (17.5).
- Charlotte is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games Brooklyn is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Hornets’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.6 up from 0.5 for the season.
- During their last five games the Nets have scored an average of 111.8 points per game (6.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 113.8 points per game (3.8 above their season average).