The Boston College Eagles (9-9, 3-4 ACC), 11-point underdogs, will be at the Petersen Events Center to take on the Pittsburgh Panthers (12-6, 3-4 ACC) in an ACC matchup. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 125.5 points and action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 22, 2020.
Boston College Eagles vs. Pittsburgh Panthers ATS Odds
The last time the Panthers played, they easily covered the 3-point spread against the North Carolina Tar Heels, 66-52. The Eagles, meanwhile, were blown out by the Wake Forest Demon Deacons, 80-62, and were unable to cover as 5.5-point underdogs. The Pittsburgh game went 18.5 points under the projected point total of 136.5, while the Boston College game finished 1.5 points over the projected point total of 140.5.
Pittsburgh played a nearly perfect game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.358 (above their season average of 0.265) and a turnover percentage of 12.2 (better than their season average of 16.3). For those same stats, North Carolina was 0.167 and 18.8, respectively. Boston College, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 10.3 (better than their season average of 17.9). Pittsburgh was lifted by Xavier Johnson, who had 20 points, six rebounds and six assists. Jay Heath, meanwhile played well for Boston College, finishing with 14 points and five rebounds.
This series was highly competitive last year, as the teams split their two games last season. In the last matchup, the Panthers won 80-70. Pittsburgh’s 0.518 effective field goal percentage was its largest strength over Boston College, who had a mark of 0.407. This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
Oddsmakers tend to place the total high when the Eagles are playing, as 61.1 percent of their games have gone under the total. Boston College heads into the contest with records of 9-9 straight up (SU) and 7-11 against the spread (ATS).
Much like Boston College, games including the Panthers also have typically finished under the total (55.6 percent). Moreover, Pittsburgh owns records of 12-6 SU and 10-8 ATS.
Pittsburgh could own the offensive glass in this matchup. The Panthers are among the country’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking 52nd in offensive rebounding percentage at 33.3 percent. Meanwhile, Boston College ranks 292nd in the nation at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 69.1 percent. Moreover, the Eagles rank 263rd in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.198), while the Panthers rank 23rd in opponents’ FTA rate (0.160).
Boston College Eagles vs. Pittsburgh Panthers ATS Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Pittsburgh, ATS Winner – Boston College, O/U – Over
- Boston College ranks 127th in three pointers attempted per game (22.7) while Pittsburgh ranks 244th (18.3).
- The Panthers average 35.5 rebounds per game, which ranks 165th in the NCAA. The Eagles rank 263rd in rebounds allowed per game (39.3).
- Pittsburgh ranks 29th in steals allowed per game (5.2) while Boston College ranks 124th (6.7).
- Boston College is 3-4 ATS on the road, while Pittsburgh is 6-6 ATS at home.
- Of the Eagles’ 7 road games, they have 4 unders, 2 overs and 1 push.
- Of the Panthers’ 12 home games, they have 7 unders and 5 overs.
- The Panthers are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Eagles are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Pittsburgh has 3 overs and 2 unders, while Boston College has 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Panthers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.0, down from 5.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 54.6 points per game (9.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.6 points per game (5.9 above their season average).