The San Antonio Spurs (5-3) and their phenomenal offense will be 1.5-point favorites when they welcome the Boston Celtics (6-1) and their stifling defense. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 216.5 points and it gets underway at 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, November 9, 2019.
Boston Celtics vs. San Antonio Spurs ATS Odds
Both teams covered as favorites in their last contest. The Spurs (4.5-point favorites) defeated the Oklahoma City Thunder 121-112, while the Celtics (7-point favorites) beat the Charlotte Hornets 108-87. The San Antonio game went 21.5 points over the projected point total of 211.5, while the Boston game finished 20 points under the projected point total of 215.
Boston played a flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.4 (worse than their season average of 10.1) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.6 (above their season average of 19.1). Charlotte put up marks of 17.4 and 18.0, respectively, for those same stats. The Spurs, meanwhile, had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 30.8 (above their season average of 24.5) and had a turnover percentage of 11.6 (better than their season average of 13.4). LaMarcus Aldridge had a good game for San Antonio, putting up 39 points and six rebounds. Boston rallied around Gordon Hayward, who put up 20 points, 10 rebounds and six assists.
The Spurs dominated this series last year, taking both contests. In the last game, San Antonio won 115-96. San Antonio’s effective field goal percentage was its biggest advantage over Boston. The Spurs had a rate of 0.551 while the Celtics posted a mark of 0.441.
Games featuring the Celtics tend to finish under the projected point total (71.4 percent). Boston comes into the game with records of 6-1 straight up (SU) and 4-2-1 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Spurs’ eight games, four have finished over the O/U total. San Antonio has a respectable 5-3 SU record, but they are just 2-6 ATS.
This matchup pits one of the NBA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. San Antonio ranks third in offensive efficiency and Boston is fifth in defensive efficiency dating back to last season. Ball security should be an advantage for the Celtics. They rank 3rd at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 12.3 percent). Conversely, the Spurs have forced the fewest turnovers in the league (opponents’ turnover percentage of 11.5 percent).
Boston Celtics at San Antonio Spurs Betting Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Celtics, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2018-Present):
- The Celtics are fourth in the NBA with 4.0 blocks allowed per game while the Spurs are fifth with 4.1 blocks allowed per game.
- Boston ranks fifth in steals per game (8.3) while San Antonio ranks last (6.0).
- The Celtics rank seventh in fast break points per game (15.9) while the Spurs rank 26th (10.9).
- San Antonio ranks fifth in rebounds allowed per game (43.8) while Boston ranks 22nd (46.2).
- Boston ranks 24th in second chance points per game (12.0) while San Antonio ranks 26th (11.5).
- The Celtics rank sixth in three pointers attempted per game (34.4) while the Spurs rank 29th (24.9).
- The Celtics rank fifth in assists allowed per game (23.3) while the Spurs rank 19th (24.6).
- Boston ranks 24th in points in the paint per game (44.0) while San Antonio ranks 25th (43.8).
- Boston ranks seventh in points off turnovers per game (17.6) while San Antonio ranks last (13.9).
- San Antonio is 17-4 when they allow below 100 points, while Boston is 22-4.
- The Celtics are 58-27 when they score over 100 points, while the Spurs are 55-25.