The Portland Trail Blazers (9-3) and their phenomenal offense will be 2.5-point favorites when they welcome the Boston Celtics (7-5) and their exceptional defense. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 216 points and action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Sunday, November 11, 2018.
Boston Celtics vs. Portland Trail Blazers ATS Odds
The Trail Blazers hope to keep it rolling after covering the 5-point spread against the Los Angeles Clippers in their last game, 116-105. The Celtics, on the other hand, were topped by the Utah Jazz, 123-115, and failed to cover as 5.5-point underdogs. The Portland game finished 4.5 points under the projected point total of 225.5, while the Boston game went 34 points over the projected point total of 204.
Portland dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 29.2 (above their season average of 26.2) and a free throw rate of 0.268 (above their season average of 0.230). For those same stats, Los Angeles put up marks of 15.2 and 0.169, respectively. Boston, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (7.6 vs. 15.1). Portland received a boost from Damian Lillard, who had 25 points. Meanwhile, Marcus Smart had a good outing for Boston, putting up 13 points and 10 assists.
The Celtics dominated this series last year, taking both contests. In the most recent contest, Boston won 105-100. Boston did a great job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (24-26; 92.3 percent). Portland, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (7.6 vs. 12.8). This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
There does not appear to be a trend for games involving the Celtics in regards to the total, as there has been an even split between games finishing over and under. Boston comes into the contest with records of 7-5 straight up (SU) and 4-8 against the spread (ATS).
Trail Blazers games also have no tendency in regards to the total, as there has been an even split between games finishing over and under. Moreover, Portland is 9-3 SU and 9-3 ATS.
Jusuf Nurkic has been playing at a high level recently for Portland, averaging 17.4 points and 10.6 rebounds over the last five games.
This battle pits one of the league’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Portland ranks third in offensive efficiency and Boston ranks first in defensive efficiency. Additionally, the Celtics rank fifth in turnover percentage (12.7 percent), while the Trail Blazers rank 29th in opponents’ turnover percentage (11.1 percent).
Boston Celtics vs. Portland Trail Blazers Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Over
- The Celtics rank 23rd in points off turnovers per game (15.5) while the Trail Blazers rank last (13.6).
- Boston ranks first in blocks allowed per game (3.5) while Portland ranks 21st (6.3).
- The Celtics rank third in fast break points allowed per game (10.8) while the Trail Blazers rank 17th (13.9).
- Boston averages 37.3 three pointers per game, which ranks third in the league. Portland ranks 16th in three pointers allowed per game (31.1).
- Portland ranks 20th in points in the paint per game (45.8) while Boston ranks last (37.7).
- The Trail Blazers rank second in rebounds per game (51.9) while the Celtics rank 18th in rebounds allowed per game (47.4).
- The Celtics rank 13th in assists per game (24.0) while the Trail Blazers rank 26th (20.3).
- Boston and Portland rank second in steals allows per game (6.4).
- Portland ranks 12th in second chance points per game (14.3) while Boston ranks 27th (10.8).
- In games where they allow under 100 points, Portland is 3-0 and Boston is 3-1.
- In games where they score over 100 points, the Trail Blazers are 9-3 and the Celtics are 7-4.
- Boston is 2-6 ATS on the road, while Portland is 6-2 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 4 of the Trail Blazers’ 8 home games, while 4 of the Celtics’ 8 road games have gone over.
- The Trail Blazers are 4-1 ATS over their last five games, while the Celtics are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Portland has 4 unders and 1 over, while Boston has 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Trail Blazers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 13.0, up from 10.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 111.2 points per game (5.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 112.4 points per game (8.7 above their season average).