The Boston Celtics (41-19), the NBA’s top shooting defense, will challenge the New York Knicks (24-36) at Madison Square Garden. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 208 points with Boston opening as a 4-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018, and it can be seen on MSG Network.
Boston Celtics vs. New York Knicks Odds Preview
In the Celtics last contest, they beat the Detroit Pistons, 110-98. Daniel Theis led Boston in scoring with 19 points on 8-for-10 shooting. The Celtics, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.514, had a solid mark of 0.582 and had a turnover percentage of 10.6 (better than their season average of 12.3).
The Knicks come in on a high note after beating the Orlando Magic in their last contest, 120-113. With 26 points on 12-for-22 shooting, Trey Burke was the games high scorer. The Knicks, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.4, had a superb mark of 32.0 and had a turnover percentage of 6.9 (better than their season average of 13.4).
The inefficient offense of New York will face off against the top-notch defense of Boston. The Knicks currently rank 22nd in offensive efficiency, while the Celtics are first in defensive efficiency. The Celtics should have the advantage on that side of the ball.
Of Boston’s 59 games with betting action, 30 have finished under the projected point total, while 30 of New York’s 60 games have finished over the projected point total. The Celtics hold a clear advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 41-19 SU and 33-23-3 ATS, while the Knicks are 24-36 SU and 29-31 ATS.
These two teams have already met three times this year, with the Celtics leading the series two games to one. In the most recent contest, Terry Rozier registered a triple-double. He had 17 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists and the Celtics defeated the Knicks 103-73, covering as 5.5-point favorites. The two teams combined to put up 176 points, which was 24 points below the projected point total of 200 points. Boston made 11 of its 26 three pointers (42.3 percent). New York, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (17.0 vs. 12.5).
Boston Celtics at New York Knicks Prediction
Free NBA Pick: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Knicks, O/U – Over
- The Knicks rank fifth in second chance points per game (13.8) while the Celtics rank 20th (11.7).
- New York ranks fifth in blocks per game (5.4) while Boston ranks 16th (4.7).
- Boston ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (20.5) while New York ranks 18th (23.5).
- New York ranks 22nd in points off turnovers per game (15.4) while Boston ranks 27th (14.5).
- New York is 16-12 ATS at home, while Boston is 18-9 ATS on the road.
- In 27 road games, the Celtics have 14 unders and 13 overs.
- In 28 home games, the Knicks have 15 unders and 13 overs.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Boston is 27-3 and New York is 11-3.
- When scoring over 100 points, the Celtics are 30-8 and the Knicks are 23-18.
- The Knicks average 44.3 rebounds per game, which ranks ninth in the NBA. The Celtics rank 22nd in rebounds allowed per game (44.2).
- Boston ranks sixth in three pointers attempted per game (31.6) while New York ranks last (22.1).
- The Celtics rank third in steals allowed per game (6.9) while the Knicks rank 23rd (8.3).
- The Celtics rank fourth in fast break points allowed per game (9.8) while the Knicks rank 12th (11.4).
- New York ranks ninth in points in the paint per game (46.4) while Boston ranks 29th (38.9).
- New York is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boston is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Knicks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.4, up from 2.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 105.8 points per game (2.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 109.8 points per game (10.2 above their season average).