The Boston Celtics (39-16) and their sensational offense visit Los Angeles to take on the Lakers (42-12) and their tremendous defense. Action starts at 3:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 23, 2020.
Boston Celtics at Los Angeles Lakers Betting Odds
Both teams covered in their last contest. The Lakers (3-point underdogs) defeated the Memphis Grizzlies 117-105, while the Celtics (2.5-point underdog) beat the Minnesota Timberwolves 127-117. Both games finished over their projected point totals. The Los Angeles game went 1.5 points over the projected point total of 220.5, while the Boston game finished 14 points over the projected point total of 230.
The Celtics, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.6, had a solid mark of 31.4 and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.516 vs. 0.489). Los Angeles, on the other hand, played a nearly perfect game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.302 (above their season average of 0.195) and a turnover percentage of 11.9 (better than their season average of 12.9). For those same stats, Memphis was 0.174 and 13.2, respectively. Los Angeles’ Anthony Davis had a solid performance, finishing with 28 points, 13 rebounds and seven blocks. Boston, meanwhile, was led by Jayson Tatum, who contributed 28 points and 11 rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Tatum led the Celtics to a 139-107 win. He was the game’s leading scorer with 27 points. Boston covered as a 2.5-point underdog and the two teams combined to put up 246 points, which was well over the projected point total of 226.5. The Celtics’ offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest strength over the Lakers. Boston had a rate of 36.8, while Los Angeles posted a mark of 26.1.
The Celtics’ Tatum has been playing at a high level over his last five games, averaging 29 points,8.2 rebounds,3.4 assists,1.6 steals,1.4 blocks per game. Meanwhile, Davis has averaged 27 points,9.8 rebounds,2.0 steals,1.4 blocks during that same time frame for the Lakers.
The game should be a showdown of strength against strength as the prolific offense of Los Angeles takes on the stingy defense of Boston. The Lakers rank fourth in offensive efficiency, while the Celtics are fifth in defensive efficiency.
Boston Celtics at Los Angeles Lakers ATS Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Lakers, O/U – Over
- The Lakers rank first in rebounds allowed per game (41.7) while the Celtics rank eighth (44.0).
- Los Angeles averages 6.9 blocks per game, which ranks first in the NBA. Boston ranks 25th in blocks allowed per game (5.6).
- The Lakers rank fifth in assists per game (26.3) while the Celtics rank 21st (23.2).
- Boston ranks third in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.5) while Los Angeles ranks 16th (17.0).
- Los Angeles ranks second in points in the paint per game (53.6) while Boston ranks 11th (48.5).
- The Celtics average 15.4 fast break points per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. The Lakers rank 28th in fast break points allowed per game (16.3).
- The Lakers rank second in second chance points per game (14.9) while the Celtics rank 14th (13.2).
- Boston ranks sixth in steals allowed per game (6.9) while Los Angeles ranks 25th (8.2).
- Boston is 12-2 when they allow under 100 points, while Los Angeles is 15-0.
- The Celtics are 38-10 when they score above 100 points, while the Lakers are 38-11.
- Boston is 15-10-1 ATS on the road, while Los Angeles is 13-11-1 ATS at home.
- Of the Celtics’ 26 road games, they have 16 unders and 10 overs.
- In 25 home games, the Lakers have 14 unders and 11 overs.
- In their last five games, Boston and Los Angeles have both had 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Lakers are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Celtics are 2-3.
- The Lakers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.2, down from 7.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 119.4 points per game (6.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 116.8 points per game (10.4 above their season average).