The San Antonio Spurs (17-8) look to continue a seven-game home winning streak when they go head-to-head with the Boston Celtics (22-4) at AT&T Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 197 points with San Antonio set as a 1-point favorite. Action begins at 9:30 p.m. ET on Friday, December 8, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN.
Boston Celtics at San Antonio Spurs Odds Preview
The Celtics were victorious over the Dallas Mavericks in their last outing, 97-90. With 17 points, eight rebounds and eight assists, Al Horford had a solid performance for Boston. The Celtics held the Mavericks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 12.0 (below their season average of 18.5) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.448 (below their season average of 0.507).
The last time the Spurs played, they topped the Miami Heat, 117-105. San Antonio’s Rudy Gay played a key role with 16 points and seven rebounds. San Antonio dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.6 (better than their season average of 13.0) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.3 (above their season average of 24.0). Miami was 18.9 and 20.0, respectively, for those same stats.
Points could be at a premium as a pair of the NBA’s best defenses clash. San Antonio ranks second in defensive efficiency (101.0) and Boston is first (99.2).
Of Boston’s 26 games, 13 have finished over the O/U total, while 15 of San Antonio’s 25 games have finished under the projected point total. The Celtics hold a clear advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 22-4 SU and 19-6-1 ATS, while the Spurs are 17-8 SU and 13-10-2 ATS.
Horford has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Boston, averaging 17.4 points, 6.6 assists, 6.4 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 202 points in that game, which was over the projected point total of 193.5. The Celtics won 108-94, covering as 4-point favorites. The Celtics played a nearly perfect game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 34.9 and a free throw rate of 0.148. For those same stats, the Spurs had marks of 23.5 and 0.115, respectively. Horford recorded a double-double with 14 points and 13 rebounds.
Boston Celtics at San Antonio Spurs Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Spurs, ATS Winner – Spurs, O/U – Under
- The Spurs rank 17th in points off turnovers per game (16.6) while the Celtics rank 28th (13.9).
- Boston ranks fifth in assists allowed per game (20.8) while San Antonio ranks 11th (21.8).
- San Antonio ranks 21st in points in the paint per game (41.3) while Boston ranks 27th (39.5).
- Boston is 10-2 ATS on the road with 6 overs and 6 unders.
- San Antonio is 9-4-1 ATS at home with 8 overs and 6 unders.
- San Antonio is 11-4 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Boston is 16-0.
- The Celtics are 16-2 when they score over 100 points, while the Spurs are 12-0.
- The Spurs rank fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.0) while the Celtics rank 10th (42.2).
- Boston ranks ninth in three pointers attempted per game (30.7) while San Antonio ranks 25th (25.0).
- The Spurs rank second in blocks per game (6.2) while the Celtics rank 15th (4.6).
- The Spurs are second in the league with 9.9 second chance points allowed per game while the Celtics are third with 10.2 second chance points allowed per game.
- Boston ranks first in steals allowed per game (6.8) while San Antonio ranks 12th (7.7).
- San Antonio is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boston is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Spurs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.4, up from 4.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 108.0 points per game (3.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 103.2 points per game (6.0 above their season average).