The Boston Celtics (45-20), the NBA’s top shooting defense will go head-to-head against the Minnesota Timberwolves (38-28) at Target Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Thursday March 8 2018.
Boston Celtics vs. Minnesota Timberwolves ATS Preview
In the Celtics’ last contest they were victorious over the Chicago Bulls 105-89. Jaylen Brown was the top scorer from either team with 21 points on 9-for-13 shooting. The Celtics had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 29.3 (above their season average of 21.0) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.560 (above their season average of 0.519).
The Timberwolves are hoping for a better outcome after their 116-108 loss to the Utah Jazz in their last contest. With 25 points Jeff Teague played well for Minnesota. Utah had an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.6 (above their season average of 20.5). Minnesota on the other hand had a better turnover percentage (12.0 vs. 16.2).
This matchup pits one of the NBA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Minnesota currently ranks third in offensive efficiency and Boston is first in defensive efficiency.
Of Boston’s 65 games 33 have finished over the O/U total while 36 of Minnesota’s 66 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records the Celtics have a substantial advantage. They are 45-20 SU and 38-24-3 ATS while the Timberwolves are 38-28 SU and 30-33-3 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Celtics it’s been Terry Rozier who has averaged 14.2 points while the Timberwolves have gotten great contributions from Teague (19.2 points 5.8 assists and 1.8 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game the two teams combined to score 175 points well under the projected point total of 209.5. The Celtics won 91-84 covering as 3-point favorites. The Celtics dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 and a great turnover percentage of 9.1. The Timberwolves had marks of 18.8 and 12.0 respectively for those same stats. In the loss Karl-Anthony Towns had a double-double with 25 points and 23 rebounds.
Boston Celtics vs. Minnesota Timberwolves ATS Prediction
Free NBA Pick: SU Winner – Timberwolves ATS Winner – Timberwolves O/U – Over
- The Timberwolves rank fifth in steals per game (8.6) while the Celtics rank 25th (7.1).
- Boston ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (20.6) while Minnesota ranks 20th (23.8).
- Boston ranks fifth in fast break points allowed per game (10.2) while Minnesota ranks 24th (13.0).
- Boston is 22-9 ATS on the road with 15 overs 15 unders and 1 push.
- Minnesota is 16-15-1 ATS at home with 18 overs 13 unders and 1 push.
- When holding opponents under 100 points Minnesota is 16-4 and Boston is 29-3.
- The Timberwolves are 36-18 when they reach the century mark while the Celtics are 34-9.
- The Timberwolves rank fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.5) while the Celtics rank 20th (43.8).
- Boston ranks sixth in three pointers attempted per game (31.4) while Minnesota ranks 29th (22.3).
- The Timberwolves rank fifth in points in the paint per game (48.5) while the Celtics rank 28th (39.4).
- The Timberwolves rank third in second chance points per game (13.9) while the Celtics rank 17th (12.0).
- Minnesota ranks fifth in points off turnovers per game (18.1) while Boston ranks 26th (14.7).
- Minnesota is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games Boston is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Timberwolves’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.2 down from 2.7 for the season.
- During their last five games the Celtics have scored an average of 117.8 points per game (13.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 105.6 points per game (5.5 above their season average).