The Utah Jazz (36-21) will be at home in Vivint Smart Home Arena when they challenge the Boston Celtics (40-17). Action begins at 10:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 26, 2020, and can be seen on ESPN.
Boston Celtics vs. Utah Jazz Betting Odds
The Celtics come in on a high note after topping the Portland Trail Blazers in their last matchup, 118-106, as 7.5-point underdogs. The Jazz, meanwhile, were thoroughly outplayed by the Phoenix Suns, 131-111, and failed to cover as 8.5-point underdogs. Both games finished over their projected point totals. The Boston game finished 1.5 points over the projected point total of 222.5, while the Utah game went 17.5 points over the projected point total of 224.5.
Boston dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.7 (worse than their season average of 11.7) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.583 (above their season average of 0.531). For those same stats, Portland had marks of 15.2 and 0.524, respectively. Utah, meanwhile, did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (37-43; 86.0 percent). Donovan Mitchell played a pivotal role for Utah with 38 points. Boston was led by Jayson Tatum, who recorded 36 points and five rebounds.
The Jazz dominated this series last year, securing victories in both contests. In the last matchup, Utah won 98-86. Utah had a better free throw rate (0.218 vs. 0.121). Boston, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (30.4 vs. 17.1). This is the first time these teams will clash this year.
There does not appear to be a trend for games featuring the Celtics in regards to the total, as there has been an even split between games finishing over and under. Boston heads into the game with records of 40-17 straight up (SU) and 34-21-1 against the spread (ATS).
In opposition of Boston, games involving the Jazz have finished over the total 52.6 percent of the time. Moreover, Utah owns records of 36-21 SU and 27-28-2 ATS.
The Celtics’ Tatum has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 30 points,9.0 rebounds,1.4 steals,1.2 blocks per game. Meanwhile, Jordan Clarkson has averaged 23 points,3.4 assists during that same time frame for the Jazz.
This matchup pits one of the NBA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Utah ranks second in effective field goal percentage (0.550) and Boston is fifth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.509).
Celtics vs. Jazz ATS Pick
Free NBA Pick: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Over
- The Celtics rank third in points allowed in the paint per game (43.2) while the Jazz rank eighth (45.9).
- Boston ranks ninth in steals per game (8.2) while Utah ranks 29th (5.7).
- The Celtics rank sixth in fast break points per game (15.6) while the Jazz rank 26th (10.9).
- Utah ranks third in three pointers allowed per game (31.5) while Boston ranks 16th (33.9).
- Utah ranks fourth in rebounds allowed per game (42.6) while Boston ranks 10th (43.9).
- The Celtics rank seventh in blocks per game (5.6) while the Jazz rank 27th (3.9).
- The Jazz rank third in second chance points allowed per game (11.7) while the Celtics rank 14th (12.7).
- Boston ranks 23rd in assists per game (23.1) while Utah ranks 26th (22.1).
- Boston ranks seventh in points off turnovers per game (18.0) while Utah ranks 27th (14.2).
- When allowing below 100 points, Utah and Boston are both 12-2.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Celtics are 39-11 and the Jazz are 35-15.
- Utah is 13-14-1 ATS at home, while Boston is 17-10-1 ATS on the road.
- The Celtics have 16 unders and 12 overs in 28 road games.
- The Jazz have 15 overs and 13 unders in 28 home games.
- The Celtics are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Jazz are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Boston has 4 overs and 1 under, while Utah has 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Celtics’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.4, down from 6.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 112.8 points per game (1.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 116.8 points per game (8.9 above their season average).