The Boston Celtics (39-17) will travel to Moda Center at the Rose Quarter to square off against the Portland Trail Blazers (26-32). Action starts at 10 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 25, 2020.
Boston Celtics vs. Portland Trail Blazers Betting Odds
The last time the Celtics played, they were beaten by the Los Angeles Lakers, 114-112, but they did cover as 7.5-point underdogs. The Celtics, on the other hand, beat the Detroit Pistons,107-104, but were not able to cover as 5.5-point favorites. The Boston game finished 3.5 points over the projected point total of 222.5, while the Portland game finished 9 points under the projected point total of 220.
The Trail Blazers had a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.565 (above their season average of 0.524) and had a turnover percentage of 9.8 (better than their season average of 11.0). Boston, meanwhile, was on fire from three-point land (13-34; 38.2 percent). Portland was led by CJ McCollum, who had 41 points, 12 assists and nine rebounds. Jayson Tatum, meanwhile had a solid performance for Boston, contributing 41 points and five rebounds.
The Trail Blazers dominated this series last year, winning both games. In the most recent game, Portland won 97-92. Portland’s 0.167 free throw rate was their largest advantage over Boston, who had a rate of 0.081. This is the first time these teams will clash this year.
Games involving the Celtics have no tendency in regards to the total, as there has been an even split between games finishing over and under. Boston comes into the game with records of 39-17 straight up (SU) and 34-21-1 against the spread (ATS).
Of the Trail Blazers’ 58 games, 31 have finished over the projected point total. Moreover, Portland owns records of 26-32 SU and 23-33-2 ATS.
The Celtics’ Tatum has been playing at a high level over his last five games, averaging 28 points,8.8 rebounds,1.2 steals,1.2 blocks per game. Meanwhile, McCollum has averaged 22 points,4.8 assists during that same time frame for the Trail Blazers.
Boston could dominate on the offensive side of the ball as their prolific offense squares off against one of the worst defenses in the NBA. The Celtics currently rank fifth in offensive efficiency while Portland ranks 24th in defensive efficiency.
Boston Celtics vs. Portland Trail Blazers Betting Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Trail Blazers, ATS Winner – Trail Blazers, O/U – Over
- The Celtics rank fourth in assists allowed per game (22.4) while the Trail Blazers rank 16th (24.4).
- Boston ranks seventh in points off turnovers per game (18.0) while Portland ranks last (13.9).
- The Celtics rank ninth in rebounds allowed per game (44.0) while the Trail Blazers rank 29th (48.0).
- Boston ranks ninth in steals per game (8.2) while Portland ranks 28th (5.9).
- Boston ranks 12th in points in the paint per game (48.5) while Portland ranks 26th (44.0).
- The Trail Blazers rank second in blocks per game (6.3) while the Celtics rank 22nd in blocks allowed per game (5.6).
- The Celtics rank 15th in second chance points allowed per game (12.8) while the Trail Blazers rank last (15.8).
- Boston averages 33.8 three pointers per game, which ranks 14th in the league. Portland ranks 23rd in three pointers allowed per game (35.0).
- Boston averages 15.4 fast break points per game, which ranks sixth in the league. Portland ranks 26th in fast break points allowed per game (14.9).
- When allowing below 100 points, Portland is 4-0 and Boston is 12-2.
- The Trail Blazers are 26-25 when they reach the century mark, while the Celtics are 38-11.
- Portland is 11-16-1 ATS at home, while Boston is 17-10-1 ATS on the road.
- Of the Celtics’ 28 road games, they have 16 unders and 12 overs.
- Of the Trail Blazers’ 28 home games, they have 17 overs and 11 unders.
- The Celtics are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Trail Blazers are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Boston has 4 overs and 1 under, while Portland has 3 unders and 2 overs.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 119.4 points per game (6.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 118.2 points per game (11.6 above their season average).
- The Trail Blazers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.4, up from 2.0 for the season.