The Boston Celtics (38-16) will travel to the Target Center to challenge the Minnesota Timberwolves (16-37). The Celtics opened as 7-point favorites. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 230.5 points and it gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, February 21, 2020.
Boston Celtics at Minnesota Timberwolves Betting Odds
The Celtics come in on a high note after covering the 2.5-point spread against the Los Angeles Clippers in their last outing, 141-133. The Timberwolves, on the other hand, were defeated by the Charlotte Hornets, 115-108, and failed to cover as 5.5-point underdogs. The Boston game went 44 points over the projected point total of 230, while the Minnesota game finished 2 points under the projected point total of 225.
Boston dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.320 (above their season average of 0.202) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.524 (below their season average of 0.532). For those same stats, Los Angeles recorded marks of 0.273 and 0.468, respectively. Minnesota, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (9.1 vs. 11.3). D’Angelo Russell played a pivotal role for Minnesota with 26 points, 11 assists and six rebounds. Boston was lifted by Jayson Tatum, who finished with 39 points and nine rebounds.
The Celtics dominated this series last year, winning both games. In the last matchup, Boston won 115-102. Boston made 12 of its 30 three pointers (40.0 percent). Minnesota, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (21.1 vs. 10.3). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Celtics games have gone under the total 51.9 percent of the time. Boston comes into the game with records of 38-16 straight up (SU) and 32-21-1 against the spread (ATS).
Unlike Boston, Timberwolves games have finished over the O/U total 54.7 percent of the time. Moreover, Minnesota owns records of 16-37 SU and 18-33-2 ATS.
Minnesota might struggle to put up points as they battle against one of the NBA’s best defenses. Boston currently ranks fourth in defensive efficiency, while the Timberwolves rank 22nd in offensive efficiency.
Celtics vs. Timberwolves Betting Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Timberwolves, O/U – Over
- The Timberwolves rank eighth in second chance points per game (14.0) while the Celtics rank 13th in second chance points allowed per game (12.7).
- Boston ranks fourth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.6) while Minnesota ranks 24th (18.0).
- The Timberwolves average 5.9 blocks per game, which ranks fourth in the NBA. The Celtics rank 22nd in blocks allowed per game (5.5).
- Boston ranks ninth in rebounds allowed per game (44.0) while Minnesota ranks 27th (47.4).
- Boston ranks fifth in steals allowed per game (6.9) while Minnesota ranks 16th (7.7).
- The Celtics rank sixth in fast break points per game (15.5) while the Timberwolves rank 26th (10.3).
- The Timberwolves rank third in three pointers allowed per game (31.5) while the Celtics rank 16th (33.8).
- Boston ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (22.4) while Minnesota ranks eighth (23.5).
- Boston ranks third in points allowed in the paint per game (43.1) while Minnesota ranks 22nd (49.6).
- Minnesota is 2-1 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Boston is 12-2.
- The Celtics are 37-10 when they score more than 100 points, while the Timberwolves are 15-30.
- Minnesota is 6-20-1 ATS at home, while Boston is 15-10-1 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 14 of the Timberwolves’ 27 home games, while 16 of the Celtics’ 26 road games have gone under.
- In their last five games, Boston and Minnesota have both had 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Celtics are 2-3 ATS over their last five games, while the Timberwolves are 1-4.
- The Celtics’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.8, down from 6.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Timberwolves have scored an average of 121.0 points per game (8.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 121.4 points per game (5.5 above their season average).