It will be a showdown between two exceptional defenses when the Memphis Grizzlies (18-16), 3-point underdogs, take on the Boston Celtics (20-14) at FedExForum. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 199.5 points and action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 29, 2018.
Boston Celtics at Memphis Grizzlies ATS Odds
Neither team was able to cover in their last game. The Grizzlies (9.5-point favorites) defeated the Cleveland Cavaliers, 95-87, while the Celtics (2-point favorites) fell to the Houston Rockets, 127-113. The Memphis game finished 14 points under the projected point total of 196, while the Boston game finished 25 points over the projected point total of 215.
Memphis dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.250 (above their season average of 0.204) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.535 (above their season average of 0.514). Cleveland recorded marks of 0.129 and 0.403, respectively, for those same stats. Boston, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (10.4 vs. 11.4). Memphis’ Marc Gasol had a good game, recording 20 points, nine rebounds and six assists. Kyrie Irving played a pivotal role for Boston with 23 points and 11 assists.
The Celtics dominated this series last year, winning both games. In the most recent matchup, Boston won 109-98. The Celtics’ offensive rebounding percentage was their largest advantage over the Grizzlies. Boston had a rate of 20.5, while Memphis posted a mark of 12.5. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Matchups involving the Celtics have a tendency to finish over the O/U total (61.8 percent). Boston heads into the contest with records of 20-14 straight up (SU) and 17-17 against the spread (ATS).
Contrary to Boston, games including the Grizzlies have a tendency to go under the total (61.8 percent). Further, Memphis is 18-16 SU and 17-17 ATS.
The Celtics’ Irving has been playing at a high level over his last five games, averaging 27 points,7.2 rebounds,5.6 assists,1.6 steals per game. Meanwhile, Garrett Temple has averaged 12 points,1.6 steals,1.6 blocks during that same time frame for the Grizzlies.
Memphis might struggle to score as they face off against one of the league’s best defenses. Boston currently ranks fourth in defensive efficiency, while the Grizzlies rank 24th in offensive efficiency. Additionally, the Celtics rank third in turnover percentage (12.5 percent), while the Grizzlies rank second in opponents’ turnover percentage (15.9 percent).
Boston Celtics at Memphis Grizzlies Betting Pick
NBA Tip: SU Winner – Grizzlies, ATS Winner – Grizzlies, O/U – Under
- The Grizzlies average 8.852941176470589 steals per game, which ranks 5 in the NBA. The Celtics rank 2 in steals allowed per game (6.911764705882353).
- Boston ranks third in three pointers attempted per game (36.6) while Memphis ranks 25th (27.2).
- The Grizzlies rank first in blocks per game (6.3) while the Celtics rank 17th (5.2).
- Boston ranks 17th in second chance points per game (13.0) while Memphis ranks 29th (9.6).
- Boston ranks 3 in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.5) while Memphis ranks 8 (15.676470588235293).
- The Celtics rank sixth in fast break points allowed per game (11.5) while the Grizzlies rank 27th (15.6).
- The Grizzlies rank 21 in points in the paint per game (46.1764705882353) while the Celtics rank 28 (42.23529411764706).
- Boston ranks 5 in assists allowed per game (22.205882352941178) while Memphis ranks 7 (22.705882352941178).
- Boston ranks 12th in rebounds per game (45.8) while Memphis ranks 29th (39.5).
- Boston is 7-2 when they allow less than 100 points, while Memphis is 10-3.
- In games where they score over 100 points, the Grizzlies are 12-4 and the Celtics are 20-11.
- Memphis is 9-7 ATS at home, while Boston is 7-11 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone over in 11 of the Celtics’ 18 road games, while 9 of the Grizzlies’ 16 home games have gone under.
- The Celtics are 2-3 ATS over their last five games, while the Grizzlies are 1-4.
- In their last five games, Boston has 4 overs and 1 under, while Memphis has 5 unders.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 112.6 points per game (1.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 115.0 points per game (9.3 above their season average).
- The Grizzlies have been outscored by an average of 2.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Memphis has defeated opponents by an average of 0.0 points.