The Boston Celtics (5-1) and the Charlotte Hornets (4-3) battle at Spectrum Center. The Celtics are a 6-point favorite and look to continue their five-game winning streak. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 219 points and it will air on TNT at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, November 7, 2019.
Boston Celtics at Charlotte Hornets Betting Odds
The Hornets will look to keep it rolling after just getting past the Indiana Pacers in their last game, 122-120, as 2.5-point underdogs. The Celtics, meanwhile, beat the Cleveland Cavaliers, 119-113, resulting in a push. Both games went over their projected point totals. The Charlotte game went 29 points over the projected point total of 213, while the Boston game went 15.5 points over the projected point total of 216.5.
Boston’s effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Cleveland. The Celtics had a rate of 0.635 (above their season average of 0.486), while the Cavaliers posted a mark of 0.484. Meanwhile, Charlotte dominated nearly every stat category in their game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.318 (above their season average of 0.161) and a turnover percentage of 10.9 (better than their season average of 15.6). Indiana put up marks of 0.064 and 15.6, respectively, for those same stats. Charlotte’s Devonte’ Graham had a solid performance, contributing 35 points and six assists. Meanwhile, Boston received a boost from Gordon Hayward, who contributed 39 points, eight assists and seven rebounds.
This series was highly contested last year, as the teams split their four games last season. In the last contest, the Hornets won 124-117. One of Charlotte’s largest strengths was getting to the free throw line. They had 28 free throw attempts, while Boston had 15.
Vegas tends to set the total high when the Celtics are involved, as 66.7 percent of their contests have gone under the total. Boston holds records of 5-1 straight up (SU) and 3-2-1 against the spread (ATS).
Unlike Boston, games including the Hornets have a tendency to finish over the O/U total (57.1 percent). Moreover, Charlotte owns records of 4-3 SU and 5-2 ATS.
Getting to the line might be hard to come by for Boston in this contest. The Celtics rank 27th in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.180, while Charlotte ranks third in FTA rate allowed (0.176) dating back to last season.
Boston Celtics at Charlotte Hornets Betting Pick
Free Pick: SU Winner – Hornets, ATS Winner – Hornets, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2018-Present):
- The Hornets are second in the NBA with 14.3 points off turnovers allowed per game while the Celtics are fifth with 14.8 points off turnovers allowed per game.
- Boston ranks second in blocks allowed per game (4.0) while Charlotte ranks 28th (6.0).
- The Hornets rank 18th in second chance points per game (13.1) while the Celtics rank 25th (12.1).
- Charlotte ranks 20th in points in the paint per game (47.0) while Boston ranks 25th (43.9).
- Boston averages 15.9 fast break points per game, which ranks seventh in the league. Charlotte ranks 11th in fast break points allowed per game (13.3).
- The Celtics rank fourth in assists allowed per game (23.4) while the Hornets rank 26th (26.0).
- The Celtics rank second in steals allowed per game (6.7) while the Hornets rank sixth (7.0).
- Boston ranks sixth in three pointers attempted per game (34.4) while Charlotte ranks 22nd in three pointers allowed per game (33.5).
- When allowing under 100 points, Boston is 21-4 and Charlotte is 13-4.
- The Celtics are 57-27 when they reach the century mark, while the Hornets are 41-31.