The Boston Celtics (8-2) and the Atlanta Hawks (2-8) clash at Philips Arena. The Celtics will attempt to prolong their eight-game winning streak. Boston opened as an 8-point favorite while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 205 points. Action begins at at 7:30 p.m. ET on Monday, November 6, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Boston Celtics at Atlanta Hawks Odds Preview
In the Celtics last matchup, they beat the Orlando Magic, 104-88. With 11 points, eight rebounds and eight assists, Marcus Smart put together a good performance for Boston. The Celtics held the Magic to an effective field goal percentage of 0.396 (below their season average of 0.552) and had a better offensive rebounding percentage (20.5 vs. 18.2).
In the Hawks last matchup, they defeated the Cleveland Cavaliers, 117-115. Atlanta received a boost from Dennis Schroder, who was the top scorer from either team with 28 points on 9-for-13 shooting. The Hawks knocked down 24 of their 34 free throws (70.6 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.541 (above their season average of 0.487).
Atlanta might struggle to score as they battle against one of the league’s best defenses. Boston ranks first in defensive efficiency, while the Hawks rank 27th in offensive efficiency.
Boston games have gone under 70.0 percent of the time, while 50.0 percent of games including Atlanta have finished over. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Celtics have a significant advantage. They are 8-2 SU and 9-1 ATS, while the Hawks are 2-8 SU and 3-6-1 ATS.
Taurean Prince has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Atlanta, averaging 14.4 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Hawks won two out of three meetings played against each other last season. In the last matchup, the Celtics won 103-101. Boston’s effective field goal percentage was their largest advantage over Atlanta. The Celtics had a rate of 0.536, while the Hawks posted a mark of 0.494.
Boston Celtics vs. Atlanta Hawks Prediction
- The Celtics rank fourth in second chance points allowed per game (9.2) while the Hawks rank 22nd (13.5).
- Boston ranks third in fast break points allowed per game (7.5) while Atlanta ranks 18th (12.0).
- Boston ranks second in steals allowed per game (6.2) while Atlanta ranks 19th (8.6).
- Atlanta is 1-2 ATS at home, while Boston is 6-0 ATS on the road.
- The Celtics have gone under in all 6 of their road games.
- The Hawks have 2 overs and 1 under in 3 home games.
- Atlanta is 0-1 when they allow under 100 points, while Boston is 8-0.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the Celtics are 6-1 and the Hawks are 2-5.
- The Hawks rank 10th in points off turnovers per game (18.0) while the Celtics rank 25th (15.0).
- Boston ranks third in three pointers allowed per game (25.3) while Atlanta ranks 27th (34.1).
- The Celtics rank third in rebounds per game (48.0) while the Hawks rank 26th in rebounds allowed per game (48.5).
- The Hawks rank 24th in points in the paint per game (40.6) while the Celtics rank 25th (39.2).
- Boston ranks sixth in assists allowed per game (20.3) while Atlanta ranks 27th (25.7).
- Atlanta is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Boston is 5-0 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Hawks’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 7.8, down from 7.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Celtics have scored an average of 104.4 points per game (1.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 90.4 points per game (2.8 below their season average).